General discussion

Lost access to all my files!

Cutting a long story short:
- Using Acronis TrueImage I cloned my XP machine, including all documents, to an external hardrive
- I then reset my XP machine to its factory settings
- I attached the external hardrive expecting to be able to access my files,. however it keeps telling me Access is denied when I try to open the files (even though I can see them in explorer). My XP machine (before I reset it to factory settings) did have a username and password.

How do I get access to my files again? Thank you in advance for your help.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Lost access to all my files!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Lost access to all my files!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try Taking Ownership.
How to take ownership of folders and files in XP.

I hope that helps.

Mark
- Collapse -
Thanks! It worked!

Thanks! It worked!

- Collapse -
(NT) Good. Glad you got it sorted.

CNET Forums

Forum Info