Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

lost ability to Add/Remove

by CesiaS / February 27, 2006 5:37 AM PST

I noticed yesterday that I cannot uninstall Programs from Add/Remove - the righthand site column is missing . no buttons to press. I recently updated my CCleaner and used it to fix reported registry issues. Could this be the reason? I can uninstall from CCleaner, but not from Add/Remove.

I have Win XP sp2 with all the relevant updates, use Firefox, Zone Alarm and have all the recommended antispyware ( AdAware SE, SpybotSD, Spyblaster, Ewido, Microsoft AntiSpyware ) and CCleaner installed.

Any ideas why Add/Remove got corrupted/changed? Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: lost ability to Add/Remove
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: lost ability to Add/Remove
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this
by retired / February 27, 2006 6:33 AM PST
Collapse -
no REG_DWORD keys
by CesiaS / February 27, 2006 9:31 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

Thanks for your reply. I followed instructions in you link,
\SOFTWARE
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Uninstall
\<Program Name>

there are only 6 folders in ..\uninstall ( I have far more programs than 6 installed) and none has any
REG_DWORD entries.
I restored values changed by CCleaner, I uninstalled CCleaner - still no change.

I find I must install some " removal" software ( back to Ccleaner?) or I would not be able to uninstall any software!!

Perhaps one can add REG_DWORD key and values to say Zone Alarm folder ( one of the 6 that shows in \Uninstall) but I do not want to mess up registry without instructions.

Collapse -
I wouldn't mess with the registry anymore
by retired / February 27, 2006 10:33 AM PST
In reply to: no REG_DWORD keys

at this point. You might try doing a system restore back to before you ran CCleaner.

Collapse -
CCleaner ?
by CesiaS / February 27, 2006 12:12 PM PST

System restore fixed it. I still wonder what caused this sudden disappearance of remove /change buttons. CCleaner is recommended on Cnet forums after all

Collapse -
correction, some buttons still missing
by CesiaS / February 27, 2006 12:24 PM PST
In reply to: CCleaner ?

Now I am totally confused, some entries in Add/remove have change/remove buttons, some do not.

Collapse -
I dont think its CCleaner
by crazeebob2000 / February 27, 2006 2:16 PM PST

I also have the latest version of CCleaner, and the same OS as you, and no problems here.

Collapse -
I do not know what else to do.
by CesiaS / February 27, 2006 2:46 PM PST

Maybe not , but this is the only program I used recently where I allowed registry changes. Do you use "fix registry issues" tool? The only other "unusual" operation I performed on my PC was to uninstall and reinstall straight back Norton Antivirus 2006 few days ago.

Collapse -
You might give this registry hack a try
by retired / February 27, 2006 9:49 PM PST

Just click on "Restore change or remove programs" and download the file to your desktop, double click the file and ok the prompt.

to find the file scroll down to #337 and it is in the right hand pane.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Collapse -
applications missing from Add/Remove
by CesiaS / February 27, 2006 10:02 PM PST

Thank you, I will try the link. As I had more time to examine Add/remove list I found that there are applications totally missing from Add/Remove

Collapse -
This may help to show all files in add/remove programs
by retired / February 27, 2006 10:33 PM PST
Collapse -
something messed up my uninstall folder
by CesiaS / February 27, 2006 11:26 PM PST

something messed up my uninstall folder.It has very few software folders. Now as I reinstall applications I can see them appearing in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Uninstall
\<Program Name>
and consequently in Add/remove. It's going to be a very long process to get everything back.

Other hacks do not work, I think they rely on uninstall folder's entries
Thank you for your help

Collapse -
CCleaner report
by CesiaS / March 1, 2006 5:32 PM PST

I do not know if this is somehow related to my original problem of missing Add/Remove entries, http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=160033 it may be a totally different issue.

Now when I run CCleaner for registry issues it reports over 30 entries ''Uninstaller Reference issues in Windows\current version\App managment\ARP Cache{.....} - '' in {} over 30 entries in fact all the entries {} created in ..ARP\cache folder
Is it safe to let CC delete these values? Why are they there? When I did google on ARP cache I found references to IP addresses, so why is this an uninstaller issue?

I have Win XP sp2 with all the relevant updates, use Firefox, Zone Alarm and have all the recommended antispyware ( AdAware SE, SpybotSD, Spyblaster, Ewido, Windows Defender ) and CCleaner installed.

Cesia

Collapse -
ccleaner/uninstall
by olivern / August 27, 2007 2:02 AM PDT

I appreciate it may not be ccleaner, however immediately after installing it, I too lost windows uninstall - and an error everytime I open outlook, and I can't now run a repair.

Yes it may be different systems/software, however the coincidence suggests CCleaner may be the causal link.

Thus don't install ccleaner, or set up restore point and check immediately after install would be my suggestion to new users, unless the maker has a suggestion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.