Computer Help forum

General discussion

LOST 20 PG.LETTER

by hobo / September 1, 2008 10:26 AM PDT

I HAVE A HP PAVILIAN a1100n desk top computer,windows xp pro and office xp pro,2003,i was writing a letter over time on office xp 2003,i save stuff many times and went bacxk to add more of my thoughts then saving,i now can't call this letter up,i ran recovery program and it clearly is there,but i get another letter in its place,how can i get this letter back?
you-all have helped me in the past,and with good results,with heart felt thank's.hobo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: LOST 20 PG.LETTER
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: LOST 20 PG.LETTER
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If The Letter Was That Important, Clearly You Can Use The...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 3:07 PM PDT
In reply to: LOST 20 PG.LETTER

....BACKUP copy that you've saved to a CD or flash drive..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
locked office document
by hobo / September 1, 2008 7:17 PM PDT

i wish i had saved a cd copy,apparently it is open and somehow i need to close it to make it open,i noticed when i open windows and click on the letter the check mark turnes red.i think i got tired and left it on and when i woke up office did something and now the file is locked,what i typed is legal stuff i'm doing for someone and as i did it i shreaded the originals,so it is very important letter.hobo

Collapse -
Re: "the checkmark turns red"
by Kees Bakker / September 1, 2008 7:37 PM PDT
In reply to: locked office document

Not really clear to me what you mean. So let's try it another way.

1. Reboot to clear all access and all locks.
2. Start Word from Start>All programs or from an other existing shortcut.
3. In Word, open the document with File>Open

Tell exactly what happens in step #3.

Kees

Collapse -
Did you look for the .BAK file?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: LOST 20 PG.LETTER

Let's say your 20 PG letter was called LETTER.DOC. Did you look for the LETTER.BAK file? If you had Word's BACKUP feature turned on (if not, why not?) then you have a chance of using the last copy.

After you find LETTER.BAK, rename it to THELETTER.DOC and open that.
Bob

Collapse -
You could also
by Amos16 / September 2, 2008 3:29 AM PDT

try a recovery utility, from www.recuva.com. Maybe it will do the trick. - Amos.

Collapse -
20 PG MISSING LETTER
by hobo / September 2, 2008 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: You could also

HI.KEES/BOB,WHEN I OPEN OFFICE 2003 AND CLICK ON WINDOWS AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE,THE BOX FOR THE LETTER IS YELLOW,UPON CLICKING ON THAT IT TURNS RED,AND ANOTHER LETTER COMES ON SCREEN,I'M TOLD THAT THE LETTER I'M LOOKING FOR IS OPEN,HENCE THE RED BOX,NOW I HAVE TO LOOK FOR THIS OPEN FILE,
I'M ALSO RUNNING A RECOVER PROGRAM FROM RECUVA.COM A COMPUTER WHIZ SAID THE LETTER IS OPEN AS I LEFT THE LETTER UNATENDED FOR TOOOOOO LONG AND IT LOCKED UP.IF I DON'T GET IT BY FRIDAY ON HIS DAY OFF HE COMING HERE,HE FIXES COMMERCIAL COMPUTERS AS OPPOSED TO HOME STUFF.I'M SURE THIS WILL BE RESOLVED.HANG IN THERE,HOBO

Collapse -
Hobo, your keyboard broke?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2008 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: 20 PG MISSING LETTER

Sorry but that was unreadable. I hope you look for that .bak file BEFORE you run Word too many more times or you will lose that last chance.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.