HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Loss of networking after system sleep

by inaudiblepc / June 28, 2008 5:48 PM PDT

I recently purchased parts for a new computer on newegg after selling my old computer to my boss. the system setup was really easy and went together quite smoothly.

as far as what I purchased
1 x Antec Sonata Designer 500 Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply - Retail
1 x Foxconn P35A LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
1 x MSI RX2600XT-T2D256EZ Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6550 - Retail
1 x LG 20X DVD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Loss of networking after system sleep
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Loss of networking after system sleep
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Almost always a driver issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2008 10:32 PM PDT

Start with motherboard drivers then network drivers. Go get latest. Rarely is the BIOS but not unheard of.
Bob

Collapse -
is this common?
by inaudiblepc / June 29, 2008 3:10 AM PDT

I've never run into this before, so I'm just wondering is this common and I've just missed it every time?

Collapse -
Not uncommon.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: is this common?

But you would have to setup a few hundred machines from scratch to run into this a few times. For those that use machines from "the names" they won't as they use the OS all bugged out.
Bob

Collapse -
not only in sleep mode
by inaudiblepc / June 29, 2008 3:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Not uncommon.

ok so I just started to download the latest drivers and I noticed my network speed dropping steadily from 54MBps down to 18, then 11, and then 5. I'm assuming that this is the same issue as again, this has never happened before. I'm planning on using the office computer to download drivers, then I might reinstall windows, and the latest drivers without the network card in, I'll leave it on and let it sleep, then wake it to see if my mouse is "on/off" again, if it is then I have big problems. I'm fairly sure it is the networking cards fault. I also downloaded the latest trendnet driver and if everything goes fine, will reinstall those, and then the card itself. hopefully I'll be up and running again.

Collapse -
"this has never happened before."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: not only in sleep mode

Now the big question. Before what?

The only clue given is the OS was reinstalled. The most common issue is drivers. After that is our old friend "how is your router setup?" Many fail to see why that matters but as an example, when you use WEP or disable SSID broadcasting, trouble.

Bob

Collapse -
previous builds
by inaudiblepc / June 29, 2008 3:56 AM PDT

I've never experienced this before in previous builds. I was using this card in my last build, so I assume the card is not faulty, but that I need to do something to fix a compatibility issue. I'm almost finished downloading the drivers and will re-install soon. as far as the router goes, the ssid is broadcasting, and both the laptop (wiereless) and the office computer(wired) connect easily and without a problem. as soon as I have finished with the drivers I will repost.

Collapse -
So you don't use WEP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: previous builds
Collapse -
still persists
by inaudiblepc / June 29, 2008 1:54 PM PDT
In reply to: So you don't use WEP.

so I installed the newest motherboard drivers, and the newest network drivers, and now it won't connect at all. not only that but for some reason I cna no longer use quick logging switching or something like that, and the login screen changed, it no longer is blue with everyones picture, but is now the office style login, and I am unable to change this, the new drivers disabled the "pretty" logon screem. and actually I am using wep, we have a qwest modem/router combination unit that was preconfigured with an ssid and wep. I guess I could try and change it but my knowledge is somewhat limited in networking, I'm mostly a hardware guy.

Collapse -
what settings
by inaudiblepc / June 29, 2008 2:00 PM PDT
In reply to: still persists

in the actiontec modem/router setup, under the wireless tab, I dissabled wep, and enabled wpa, I entered my passkey, and then there is another box for "group key interval" do I need to change this for any reason?

Collapse -
In the networking sticky
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: what settings

We note less than a handful of settings. One of them is to stick to stock settings. Remember that this issue once you are using a secure connection is all about drivers. The loss of the pretty login is just a Windows setting and if affected by drivers is pointing to some crazy driver writer. No one I know does that change (yet.)

http://www.pchell.com/support/welcomescreen.shtml notes at the bottom about the Netgear USB WIFI adapter crazy issue and a fix.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.