Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Losing Ram?

by Sheila / April 2, 2005 6:10 AM PST

Still haven't solved my Norton problem yet, but in researching the solution, it states that Norton needs 64 mb. I doubled checked and I HAD 64 but now have 63.
I don't know when it went lower.

Where does it go?
Sheila

Emachine OEM
98 SE/ IE 5.50/ OE 5/ Internet Access 5.4
56 k
533MHz
64 mb......now 63
128 kb
NAV2005

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Losing Ram?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Losing Ram?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since Windows 98 is DOS based, you lose some...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 6:52 AM PST
In reply to: Losing Ram?

To whatever you placed in your config.sys and autoexec.bat. I gotta ask. Since Windows 98 hasn't been on any new machine for some 5 years, have you tried booting the machine without these too optional files?

Bob

Collapse -
re To Bob
by Sheila / April 2, 2005 9:01 PM PST

No, I am not sure how to do that.

Collapse -
I was asking...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 11:43 PM PST
In reply to: re To Bob

Or trying to find a nice way of asking how one can be a newbie at Windows 98. It hasn't been offered for 5 years now and that gives one plenty of time to learn about AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS as well as how to edit them.

I'm curious how you can avoid obtaining these skills. No offense intended at all, but I ask out of sheer curiousity.

In short, rename config.sys to config.old, reboot and see if the memory comes back.

REMEMBER that I'm working under the presumption that at one time you did get 64MB. If not, this won't work.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry Bob
by Sheila / April 5, 2005 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: I was asking...

Somehow, I missed this post of yours. I just found it now while reviewing posts.

Autoexec.bat or config.sys are items that I have seen, but didn't "fool around" with them because I didn't know what they were or what they did.

I have just now searched for them, opened them and they are 1KB each in size. I assumed that they were supposed to be where they are.

AutoExec.bat properties..advanced...has the box ticked to "suggest MSDOS mode as necessary.

Under memory, everything is ticked as...auto.

Under the 'screen' tab..under performance ticked are..fast ROM emulation,dynamic memory allocation.

Under misc tab, this is what is ticked..allow screensaver.Termination..warn if still active. Other..fast pasting. under window shortcut keys...all boxes ticked.

No other categories ticked.

Also, when I opened it, a black screen showed with this....
C:\>Rem (Header)
CrystalWare(tm) Sound Fusion tm Intialization Utility, Version 2.80 Copyright (c) 1998 Crystal Semiconductor Corp. All Rights Reserved.
* Cannot be run in Windows Dos Box.

This is the info on Config.sys

REM [Header]

REM [DVD-ROM Drive]
Device=C:\Dvdrom\oakcdrom.sys /d:gem001

REM [Miscellaneous]

REM [SCSI Controllers]

REM [Display]

REM [Sound, MIDI, or Video Capture Card]

REM [Mouse]
REM ------------------

I just never messed with them. I guess in 5 years, things were OK. Now, with Ram going from 64 to 63, that is why I brought up the question, they now become important. Sooooo I can delete them?

Thanks, Sheila

Collapse -
I gotta ask.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry Bob

I see you have what is called a REAL MODE CDROM driver in config.sys. My note about renaming it could be the cure, and is easy to undo.

Here's my next question. If you receive advice, what does it take for it to be acted on?

I don't want to sound harsh or uncaring, but if you don't try this, then the only out is more RAM or a service counter ($$$!)

Bob

Collapse -
I will act on advice
by Sheila / April 5, 2005 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I gotta ask.

Bob, I will do what you suggest, but I am leaving town tomorrow morning and won't be able to respond, PLEASE, PLEASE don't think I am ignoring you. I am leaving early so I probably won't even turn my computer on.

I will be gone for a week so I could take care of it when I return. Or you could email me the details.

Sheila

Collapse -
The short instruction.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: I will act on advice

Boot windows.

Rename config.sys to config.old

Reboot, test.

Don't like it?

Rename config.old to config.sys

Bob

Collapse -
Followed your advice
by Sheila / April 5, 2005 9:26 PM PDT
In reply to: The short instruction.

Bob, I went to...start...find files...found config.sys and changed it to config.old....restarted my computer. Memory is still at 63 Ram. Did I do it correctly?

Sheila

Collapse -
What this means.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Followed your advice

Is that the memory is being allocated prior to Windows coming up. I'd have to look at what BIOS options there are and see if any SHADOW settings or such can have an effect.

Since there is no standard for the BIOS menus, I won't be able to help you find the setting.

Stop trying to reclaim the memory in DOS or Windows and find another stick of RAM.

Bob

Collapse -
Will Do!!..
by Sheila / April 5, 2005 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: What this means.

Bob, I will look into getting a stick of Ram when I get back home. Leaving town right now.

Thanks so very much for your help. This forum has been such a big help to me. I'm sure other posters feel the same way.

Thanks again,
Sheila

Collapse -
More ram
by Willy / April 2, 2005 6:56 AM PST

If you're total system ram is 64mb, I seriously suggest you get more. Your Norton problem *may not* be corrected with its addition but I think it could very well be. A decent win98 based system should have at least 128mb to breathe easy, however 256mb is far better. Depending on your system your ram slots are limited, thus you may need to remove any lower MB ram and add a larger MB ram module. The price of ram is a good deal when brought on sale at outlets like BestBuy or CircuitCity, just look for that or shop online. Adding ram maybe the best upgrade you ever done and its a straight-foward installation, not difficult.

tada Happy -----Willy

Collapse -
re To Willy
by Sheila / April 2, 2005 9:05 PM PST
In reply to: More ram

I was told that same thing yesterday by a friend. I guess I should look into getting more Ram. I will work on the Norton problem again today.

Collapse -
Try going to Crucial.com or Kingston.com
by glb613 / April 2, 2005 9:59 PM PST
In reply to: re To Willy

and see what type of RAM you need. Sometimes with older computers, the RAM required is hard to find and expensive. Chances are, they won't carry it at your local computer retail store. Plus I find Crucial and Kingston have good prices.

Collapse -
re
by Sheila / April 3, 2005 1:05 AM PST

Thanks for the information. I checked the site, and, am now weighing my decisions.....Thanks, Sheila

Collapse -
Abit more...
by Willy / April 5, 2005 1:31 PM PDT
In reply to: re To Willy

If you *know* was type of ram you need, lok at this website, they offer used/pulled ram at reasonable prices. http://www.pcliquidators.com At 64mb installed, I hope you have an idea what you need since you didn't mention your system specs. This pgm. should provide a clue: http://www.belarc.com get their advisor pgm. to show what your spcs are, however take it at face value. What the other poster mentions visiting Crucial or Kingston websites offer a clue to pricing and available stock once you provide the system stats. OK. good luck -----Willy

Collapse -
Thanks Willy
by Sheila / April 5, 2005 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Abit more...

I do use Belarc and will run it again to get specifics. Leaving town right now so I will have to do that when I return in a week.

Thanks so much for your help.
Sheila

Collapse -
Easy
by Cyhunt / April 6, 2005 11:55 AM PDT

another SUPER easy thing to do is delete files you DON't need.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?