Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

losing my e-mail

by sipapu / October 30, 2004 5:49 AM PDT

OS is WIN XP. Using Outlook Express for mail. From time to time I find all my mail boxes have been emptied for no reason that I can discern. Very frustrating when one wants to reply to a previously received e-mail. Have tried to duplicate this problem every way I know how to but cannot do so. Have sent report to Microsoft over two weeks ago with no reply. Would this be some form of virus or worm? More important, how can I cure the problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: losing my e-mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: losing my e-mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: losing my e-mail
by roddy32 / October 30, 2004 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: losing my e-mail
Collapse -
Re: losing my e-mail
by Cursorcowboy / October 31, 2004 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: losing my e-mail
From time to time I find all my mail boxes have been emptied for no reason that I can discern.

a. If mail isn't showing from Outlook Express, are they still in the Store folder? See #4 below.

b. Are you positive the system has not been invaded. See this forum "link."

1. The article [Q306098] states that when you attempt to use Outlook Express to send mail from a hyperlink, to send mail by using the "Send To" feature of another program, or to send mail by using the "New Message" feature in Internet Explorer, Outlook Express may not be used to send the message and can occur if:

a. Outlook Express is not registered as your default e-mail program

b. An entry for the default mail client is missing in the registry.

2. In addition, the article [Q821403] discusses and explains several symptoms and problems that you may experience when you right-click a file, point to Send To, and then click Mail Recipient.

3. Download and use patch, "#19 - Add Outlook Express as Default Client" from the Kellys-Korner site.

Section I: Reinstall - Repair

1. The article [Q318378] describes how to reinstall or repair IE and OE version 6 if you are having problems because of damaged files or missing registration information. After using this procedure, you must again reinstall any updates which were previously installed.

Note: By default, IE6 is preinstalled in all versions of XP and cannot be uninstalled. Since Microsoft made it possible for a lot of flexibility for computer manufacturers configuring desktop versions, users my find an option already exist in the Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel, but this option may or may not reinstall Internet Explorer.

2. IE6 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is included with Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) when installed, [Q328548]. You're advised to read, OLEXP: An Overview of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6.0 SP-1 (Q331923).

Section II: Backup - Import - Export

1. The article [Q313055] provides a step-by-step procedure to help you find OE mail, folders, and Address Book.

Note: Even though this article does not necessarilly discuss exporting OE mail, the same logic is little different than an import.

2. The article [Q316981] explains that when you import e-mail messages, the list of options may include only Microsoft Outlook Express version 4.0 and Outlook Express 6.0; Microsoft Outlook Express version 5 may not be listed and to simply select the Outlook Express 6.0 option to import Outlook Express 5 messages.

3. The article [Q313055] covers the step-by-by step procedure for how to Export and Import Identities. Be aware however that the article [Q329084] states that you switch identities after you install Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). For example, if you click Switch Identity on the File menu, click the identity that you want to switch to and then click OK, the main identity is opened instead of the one that you want to switch to. To resolve this problem, install the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6.0 SP1.

4. The article [Q316841] states that when you use Outlook Express import e-mail messages from a Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) client such as Microsoft Outlook, the file name of attachments in the original e-mail may be shortened to eight characters. For example, an attachment named "This is a file.doc" may be imported as "Thisisaf.doc."

Note: To change the default storage location of both the Mail and the News folders (please also review, "OLEXP: How to Change the Default Location of Mail and News Folders (Q175037)"):

a. Start Outlook Express.

b. On the Tools menu, click Options.

c. Click the Maintenance tab, and then click Store Folder.

d. Click Change, and then click the location where you want to store the Mail and the News folders.

e. Click OK four times.

f. On the File menu, click Exit.

g. Restart Outlook Express.

Section III - Your Server Has Unexpectedly Terminated the Connection

a. "Error Message: Your Server Has Unexpectedly Terminated the Connection (Q278637)."

b. "Your Server Has Unexpectedly Terminated the Connection" Error Message When You Send an SMTP-Based E-mail Message (Q816866).

c. "Server Has Unexpectedly Terminated the Connection" Error Message If You Start Outlook or Outlook Express (Q318660).

d. "You Cannot Send a Message with Graphic Attachments (Q254926)."

e. Also be aware of, "Virus Alert About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants (Q826955)." It's your system and whether you want it checked and clean is strictly up to you. IMO, don't procrastinate.

Section IV - Supplemental reading:

1. "OLEXP: Your Outlook Express Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or XP (Q264672)."

2. "OLEXP: Error Message: Msimn.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by Windows (Q258034)."

3. "OLEXP: Norton Antivirus Causes Outlook Express 6 to Stop Responding (Q309676)."

4. "OLEXP: Earlier E-Mail Messages Are Not Displayed on a Computer That Is Running Windows XP or Windows 2000 (Q312359)."

5. "OLEXP: Your Messages Disappear If the View Is Set to Show All Messages (Q314421)."

6. "Unable to Set Different E-Mail Programs for Different Users (Q315240)."

7. "OLEXP: How to Share the Store Folder Among Multiple Windows XP Users (Q317031)."

8. "OLEXP: Outlook Express E-Mail Messages Are Missing from the Inbox Folder (Q321505)."

9. "Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1 (Q329570)."

10. "OEBackup (by Majik)."
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.