HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

losing link click and typing capabilities?

by WildWestUSMC / October 28, 2013 11:24 PM PDT

I do not quite understand what is going on with my computer but everything will be fine for about an hour or so then all of a sudden anytime I try to click a link or something like that the computer wont allow me to. I also lose the ability to type in a search bar. The only thing that fixes it is to hard reset the computer. Once I reset it the sound goes from headphones to the speakers without me changing anything. I assume a virus but I cant be certain because it can be reset but it will happen again.

When clicking links I am able to right click and select open in new tab and that works but I cannot left click. The typing issue I figured out by letting my computer sleep and waking it up then trying to log in and it will not type anything.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: losing link click and typing capabilities?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: losing link click and typing capabilities?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried
by Jimmy Greystone / October 28, 2013 11:55 PM PDT

Have you tried connecting an external keyboard up to the laptop to see if that works or not? Also, have you tried entering in text, like your password for example, and hitting enter to see if it is actually being entered just not displayed?

I'd like to see some troubleshooting done before saying for sure, but it does sound a bit like you may have been hit with a rather poorly written keylogger program. So, just to be on the safe side, don't log into any sites that have sensitive info like bank, credit card, etc until you get this sorted out. If you already have, I'd go and make sure to change the passwords on those accounts. These are probably unnecessary precautions, but they won't hurt anything even if they are and it's certainly better than the alternative if this is a keylogger we're dealing with.

Collapse -
Tower not laptop
by WildWestUSMC / October 29, 2013 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Have you tried

I have tried to type in my password when logging into windows and it does not enter at all. I can click the box with the mouse and the cursor shows up but when I start typing the cursor goes away and nothing happens. When it does mess up while I am using it, any search bar I have tried it will do the same thing any website, even my browser address bar. I use Firefox browser.

Collapse -
Details not provided...
by Willy / October 29, 2013 12:16 AM PDT

You explain the problem but NOT in what PC. I don't want to guess and start a string only to get back to the starting point again, so give.

Have you tried running an AV pgm? scan it
Have you recently installed new s/w or freebies?
Have you noticed a time period when it happens, consistently?
Is the search bar what? IE provided as in from MS or some other search bar?
Have you done any "cleaning" yet since you had the PC?

Provide the above answers and details, maybe a zeroing in of an answer can be provided.

tada -----Willy Happy Semper Fi ---Tun tavern regular

Collapse -
Some answers
by WildWestUSMC / October 29, 2013 6:14 AM PDT

I am sorry I wasn't very detailed this morning when I posted, I was literally on my way out the door for work and decided id put something up to see what people had to say about it when I got home.

So now that I am home I did run a scan on it with McAfee and it turned up nothing.

As far as new things I have downloaded recently, I play quite a few PC games like Minecraft and Skyrim and such and I like checking out different mods for those games so i am all the time downloading stuff for those. Software wise I haven't added anything new in a very long time.

The problem doesn't occur when I am playing games or anything, only when I am browsing websites and once it hits the only fix I found is to reset computer because It wont even let me select a desktop icon or any links off the start menu for windows. It's strange because its not like my mouse doesn't work I just cant select things when I click on them. Another example is like watching a video on youtube or something I have to click the video 3 times to get it to play correctly. The first time I click it the video itself has a blue tint like I highlighted it but it will start playing, the next click stops the video and the third restarts the video with no highlight.

The search bar is anything, like for instance if i am using a websites search engine to search the site I cant type there or the browser address I cant type there, or logging into windows if the computer went to sleep I cant type there.

My first thought was that I lost drivers but then I thought, that can't be right because resetting the comp fixes the issue. I have cleaned the computer a while back before I got McAfee because I had an issue and I can't quite remember where I went to get help but they ran me through a series of steps to use a couple of different programs to scan the computer and post reports of the scans back to the thread. Then they read the reports and told me what I needed to do to clean up the issues they found. Then I purchased McAfee and Malwarebytes and I have those on all the time.

Collapse -
So.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Some answers

Are you running two antivirus in real time?

Dafydd.

Collapse -
No
by WildWestUSMC / October 29, 2013 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: So.

Malwarebytes is an anti-malware
McAfee is anti-virus

Collapse -
OK.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: No

Bad wording from me. are these two security programmes running in real time together?
You said you paid for them so I assume they are. Or is Mbam on demand only.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
MMM not completely sure to be honest!
by WildWestUSMC / October 29, 2013 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: OK.

Malwarebytes and McAfee are both running in the system tray if that is what you mean. I do have to manually run all scans for either program because that is how I have it set up due to me having very crazy hours and I don't want a scan going off when I am in the middle of doing something.

I honestly don't think Malwarebytes does anything unless I tell it to scan. Which I did after you said something because I hadn't thought of it before but it turned up 22 issues so that may or may not have fixed my problem here... I guess we will see!

Collapse -
OK.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 8:19 AM PDT

Having cleard that up, running two in real time can cause a conflict with quite a few side effects. Post back with any different results.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
This sounds...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / October 29, 2013 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: OK.

...like some dlls are not registering. Have you used some sort of registry cleaner lately?

Dafydd.

Collapse -
No
by WildWestUSMC / October 29, 2013 2:01 PM PDT
In reply to: This sounds...

I haven't really messed (cleaned or scanned) with it in over a year and never had any issues with those two running at the same time for the last year. The issues that popped up with Malwarebytes scan were with some temporary internet files and one registry key. They all had an association with the name conduit. I don't know of any program I downloaded by that name but I assume it probably wasn't a good file or program. Sorry I can not give you more info on that as I didn't save the report or anything but if it didn't clear it up I will figure out something. I have already been somewhat taxing with little info to go on and I apologize for that.

Collapse -
Areas to check
by Willy / October 30, 2013 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: No

With the PC powerd-OFF, take the kybd. and turn it over, burp/rap the backside several times until all the crud drops, repeat as necessary. Smack it good to do this and once done notice what has fallen, staples very bad. Next, reboot the system and see if it has changed its bad habits.

Another area to check, depending on your browser, check the add-ons to it, especially search bars or anything attached(check tools/options area). Again, use the google surfing for your browser to learn what's good/bad on what you find. Disable or remove anything that doesn't seem proper. If you find a search bar that you didn't want, sometimes it can be removed in the add/delete section of the control panel area of pgms.. Find it and remove it like any other pgm.. The only ones, I have recommended to keep are Google and Yahoo search bars and even then you can decide if you want to keep them or not.

As for any AV pgms. I have McAfee not to be as good as others. If you like, OK keep it. But 100% sure its active and updated. I find many a user thinks its active not really its only installed and if you hadn't paid for the subscription for the yr. forget about it, its really not that active or as good as the last update when you paid subscription, etc.. Next., run another pgm. I like called, Superantispyware(free version), install it and run it as well. It will need to be run manually and it doesn't effect any other AV pgm., etc..

Alas, some mods can installed undesired malware or link to some. It may not be apparent but its just another area to get inside your PC and cause problems. What I do before any install on any s/w that maybe "iffy" is to do a scan directly at that file, just in case.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.