Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Losing Internet Connection - Long

by staysee_00 / November 19, 2003 11:30 PM PST

OK, I am running Windows Xp I have comcast cable internet. Yesterday I turned on my computer to no internet service. I have had no problems with this connection for 4 years and now, no access to e-mail or the net. I have a hub connected and I then tried connecting to our Xbox Live and Socom 2 through the Hub and it worked no problem. I also disconnected the hub and connected the computer directly to the modem (Surfboard modem) to no avail. I have an old Compaq and connected to the modem and hub with no problems.

AFter doing all of this and 2 calls to tech support that got me no where I decided that my Ethernet card must have went kaput. THe card was a Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection. I tried rolling back teh driver, uninstalling and reinstalling teh drivers and was unsuccessful. I went to he store and bought a new card. I disabled the first card. powered down the computer and installed the new card. As soon as the computer recognized the new card I had internet! Whoo hoo! But.....

Now I lose my connection evey 5 minutes or so. When I lose the connection if I go into the Local Area Connection Status / Support and click repair, I get my connection back. Comcast was absolutely no help to me. Oh, the new card is a Linksys NC100 Fast Ethernet Adapter. Everything is set to configure automatically. I have no firewall set up at this moment. I also tried different & new ethernet cables with no success. Whether I use the hub or not I lose my connection every few minutes on the computer only. I was able to sit and play Socom 2 last night for over an hour and never had a problem. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Stacy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Losing Internet Connection - Long
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Losing Internet Connection - Long
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HUB?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2003 11:43 PM PST

Connecting a machine to a HUB as well as the cable modem is invalid and dangerous. Are you sure you have such a setup?

Have you tried a different port on said HUB?

Some ISP's lock your connection to the MAC address you have. To reset it, they used to have you call in. But with so many calls, they changed that so that 24 hours and it would auto-reset. A dumb hub could be used at first, then they silently change to a more stringent policy and you'll need a Linksys NAT capable router for it all to work.

An in closing, is the machine free from all Parasites? Many will alter the TCPIP stack and wreck havoc on machines. The five scans I note at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0 and a HijackThis log file usually find if a pest has made its way onto the machine.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:HUB?
by staysee_00 / November 20, 2003 1:09 AM PST
In reply to: HUB?

I run Ad-Aware everytime I do a de-frag. I just ran it again and everything was fine. As for the hub, yes it is a HUB. A Netgear 4 port Ethernet HUB (EN 104tp). I have used it without fail since I betat tested the Playstation 2 network adapter nearly 2 years ago. I have no problem connecting to it and using it for games, no matter which port I am using. I even have the problem when I am not connected to the hub. I am not currently connected to the hub, but I have had to repair my connection every 5 minutes since I turned the computer on this morning.

Collapse -
HUB. You may have found your issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2003 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: Re:HUB?

The ISPs used to hand out multiple IP address per cable modem. A policy change may have occured and you now feel the pain.

If you turn it all off, the machines at the ISP may let you renew a lease on that MAC address from 20 minutes to 24 hours later. It's up to them on the rules and they usually won't talk about it.

What worked in the past is the past.

Sorry to hear you woe.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:HUB?
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / November 20, 2003 4:05 AM PST
In reply to: Re:HUB?
Collapse -
Re:Losing Internet Connection - Long
by highland_creations / December 1, 2003 3:42 AM PST

Sounds almost identicle to my problem... I have found no resolution either. If you find something, please let me know!

Collapse -
Your other post mentioned no hub.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2003 3:51 AM PST

But it's worthwhile to know that connecting a cable/dsl modem to a hub and then other machines to a hub is an INVALID and DANGEROUS configuration.

Bob

Collapse -
hub invalid?
by YambaG / January 17, 2006 2:09 PM PST

naa if youre using a router there should be no problem a hub does not have DHCP and honestly having worked for a few ISP's they dont care how many machines you run off of their service you just need a router to hand out all those ip's i keep seeing posts all over stating that ISP's such as comcast whom i worked for disables your account by your mac id which is false they deactivate your account by sending you an invalid boot file in your modem they call it a walled garden boot file a good bootfile is a silver or speed tier your mac id does not matter thats what they see first no matter what its plugged into lol and you CAN have more then 1 mac id at a time ive seen people with as many as 6 but those are modem devices only way theyd deactivate it by mac is if they saw that mac and it was a stolen modem or the mac id pulled up someone elses name just get a router and you can plug whatever you want into it hubs,switches whatever

Collapse -
Firewire connection seen as a network ?
by neptune431 / March 10, 2006 8:21 AM PST

Base Computer:
Dell 4550 Pentium 4 Processor / Win XP Home
(Added Pinnacle Studio 7 Card when new)

Cable Modem
Linksys BEFCMU10

Broadband Router (for VOIP)
Linksys
RT31P2

MS Wireless Router Mn-700

The setup was running fine until shortly after the (phone) modem was hooked up. The internet or phone connection was being lost on a fairly regular basis. (every 10 minutes or so)
The connections were never lost at the same time.
Rebooting both modems, the router and the computer was required to get back on line. ..for 10 minutes.
Comcast said they could find no problem with the signal.
Comcasts? Modem was replaced. No change.
Added a signal booster. It did increase the speed of signal but not the connection problem.

?Pinnacle Studio 7? card was installed shortly after I received this computer with a fire wire plug (1394) and cable for connecting a video camera. Apparently, this was the culprit.
I was able to bridge the two ?networks? together and have had no connection problems since.

Does Windows XP see this (fire wire) card or the cable connection as another, separate network, (! ?)
Thanks PLR

Collapse -
How old is your cable modem?
by shofstall / January 25, 2006 10:00 PM PST

I had a similar problem. The modem overheated and broke the connection. After it cooled, it resumed connection. All it took was a new modem (which is provided by my ISP for a nominal monthly fee). Hope this helps

Collapse -
Similar Problem
by jsu627 / March 10, 2006 11:58 AM PST

Frequent Internet Connection Drop

My Internet connection on my desktop is dropped an annoying eight to a dozen times a day. This seems to happen most during long downloads, but also happens when I check email or download a file of 30k or so. I have to fix it by going to Internet Connections in Windows XP (which says the dropped connection is connected), disabling it, and re-enabling it. (Using the repair function doesn't work.) Comcast, which has given me very good service, has come out twice, replaced my cable outlets, and checked the cables, and can't find any problems at their end.

When the connection to my desk top is broken:
1, Comcast can ping me, but I can't ping out.
2. My laptop, on a wireless network, remains connected to the Internet.

Things that don't appear to help:
1. turning off firewalls, Norton security, etc
2. going from cable modem to desktop directly by ethernet (taking the wireless router out of the loop)
3. Deleting all cookies didn't help

My Desktop Hardware set up is:

Cable Modem: Motorola SB5120
Wireless Router: Belkin F5D 6231-4 Wireless 2.4 GHz 802.11b
Desktop is connected by ethernet port, laptop by wireless card

Mother Board: ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe Bios 1013
Processor: AMD A8N 3800 FX2 Socket 939
RAM: 2 Gig Patriot 3200 DDR
Case and Power: Antec
Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce 6200

My Usual Software is:
Mozilla Firefox browser
Eudora
MS Word
Info Select
Outlook

Security Software:
Norton Internet Security (Norton Firewall and Privacy Off)
NVIDIA Firewall set to medium (part of NVIDIA chipset on mother board)
Microsoft Defender anti-spy ware installed - computer appears to be spy ware free

John Ullman

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.