Computer Help forum

General discussion

Losing Internet connection

by badnick2001 / June 23, 2010 11:17 AM PDT

Good Day:

I'm an avid reader of your tech questions and answers, and like to think I have learned a lot through them. I now have a question of my own.
My computer frequently kicks me off the internet, sometimes it takes me half an hour or more to regain access.
System information - I have an HP Pavilon m9150f, intel quad core CPU Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz, 3 gigs of RAM, 32 bit system with windows vista. My NIC is a Realtek RTL8168C PCI-E GBE NIC, I also have an internal USB 802.11 b/g wireless, and a D-Link DWA-142 wireless N external USB adaptor. I have cable internet, my modem indicator lights show I have a connection, even when my computer says I don't. I've contacted my ISP and they said my modem has not logged any connectivity issues.
When I lose service, I run the network diagnostics, and it gives me one of 3 messages. Either 'there is no problem with your internet connection', 'this is not a problem that can be automatically resolved', or 'resetting your network adaptor may correct the problem'. Regaining internet service is hit or miss, resetting the adaptor sometimes works, unplugging the modem sometimes works, turning everything off sometimes works, sometimes nothing works.
History - started with the built in wireless kicking me out. Bought the N wireless, same issue. Now run through CAT5 cable, still same issue.
I have the latest driver updates and the latest windows updates. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Losing Internet connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Losing Internet connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since you are wired.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2010 11:22 AM PDT

Did you try it with the wifi in the router disabled?

Collapse -
disable wifi
by badnick2001 / June 23, 2010 11:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Since you are wired.

hmmmm disable the wi-fi IN the router?
I've disabled the adaptors through 'network connections', and I've bypassed the wifi router and run straight off my dsl box. Is that the same thing?

Collapse -
Not enough detail I fear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2010 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: disable wifi

I didn't read any make or models so I offered something I do as a test to see if there were any "moochers" on the wifi that can cause this.

Remember that TORRENT use can cause drops. But you must tell more.
Bob

Collapse -
makes and models
by badnick2001 / June 23, 2010 11:47 AM PDT

I'll do my best
USB wireless 802.11 b/g adaptor Lite-On came with comp
Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111c(P) Family PCI-E GBE NIC
USB wireless N adaptor D Link model DWA-142
Wireless router D Link model DIR-615
cable modem Motorola Surfboard model SB5100

Collapse -
Ok that 615 is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2010 12:01 PM PDT
In reply to: makes and models

Known to drop out with torrent use. But if you disable the wifi on the router and don't use torrents and normal web browsers drop out, I skip using that 615 and connect direct without the router for more tests.

Again the 615 is one of those models that tend to pop up with connectivity issues. Be sure to use the firmware version they tell you to on that.

OK, back to testing without the router.

And about the wifi password. If that was WEP, that security is good for about 120 seconds.

Bob

Collapse -
wep = 120 sec haha
by badnick2001 / June 23, 2010 12:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok that 615 is

heh heh think it was wep2. doesn't really matter. I get about 15 wireless signals in my house, only half are protected so there are easier targets than me Happy
I'll try using the cable box only and see what happens. This week has been the worst, getting booted several times a day, so shouldn't take too long to get back to you if that isn't the problem.

Collapse -
That's a clue too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2010 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: wep = 120 sec haha

With so many wifi signals some routers try to auto pick a channel. It's not me that have dis'd the 615. You can research that with the model at google and add the words torrents and drops.

There are ways to help out this router. Try defaults, WPA and if you don't use its wifi, turn that off.
Bob

Collapse -
turn off wifi
by badnick2001 / June 23, 2010 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: That's a clue too.

that was one of your original comments. how do I do that, other than unplugging it?

Collapse -
Why I often repeat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2010 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: turn off wifi

Members sometimes don't tell if they did a step. To turn it off we use the router's web interface and in there is a wifi disable setting. Sometimes they call it a "radio."
Bob

Collapse -
kicked out again
by badnick2001 / June 24, 2010 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Why I often repeat.

Okay, so I unplugged the wireless, ran the cat5 straight from my modem to my comp, just got kicked out again. All modem lights showed ok.
clicked 'diagnose network connection' 3 times, 'no problems found' each time, and then my connection came back.
oops and booted again while I was typing this...
Symbols on my diagnostic page are
'this comp'-----'network'-----'internet'
usually when I get booted out, a red X shows between network and internet, this time I got the X there, plus a yellow triangle between comp and network.

Collapse -
Do other PCs do this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2010 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: kicked out again
Collapse -
other pcs
by badnick2001 / June 24, 2010 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Do other PCs do this?

yes other comps were losing their connection at the same time as this one. PS3 and Ipod too.
as far as virus/malware - that really shouldn't be an issue. I use AVG and Spybot. This connection issue has been going on for 9 months or more, and 2 weeks ago I did a reformat and install of vista. (NOT a system restore)
As far as suggested scans - I will try them. I use firefox as my primary browser already. IE is loaded on the comp, but suffers the same issue...

Collapse -
torrent
by badnick2001 / June 23, 2010 11:53 AM PDT

and btw I don't use torrents. when on wifi I was password protected, only this comp using my connection.

Collapse -
other pcs - New!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2010 8:11 AM PDT

"yes other comps were losing their connection at the same time as this one. PS3 and Ipod too.
as far as virus/malware - that really shouldn't be an issue. I use AVG and Spybot. This connection issue has been going on for 9 months or more, and 2 weeks ago I did a reformat and install of vista. (NOT a system restore)
As far as suggested scans - I will try them. I use firefox as my primary browser already. IE is loaded on the comp, but suffers the same issue..."

The long term issue is telling. But wait a second. If we ejected the router and if you have that Surfboard model how could you have seen the PS3 and Ipod drop out? This Surfboard doesn't have a router in it so I don't know how you could have those connected when the PC dropped out.

It's looking more like a Cable modem or Cable company problem.
Bob

Collapse -
PS3 and IPod
by badnick2001 / June 24, 2010 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: other pcs - New!

were dropping out at the same time as this comp when using the wireless, I didn't check them today because they are used wireless only, therefor they were offline all day.
I followed Griffin's instructions for the malware and antispyware instals, ran them, malware found 0 faults, spyware found tracking cookies only.
Is there a way I can create a log/snapshot of what the computer internals are doing when the I get booted? Or am I better off just taking it to a tech store?
My cable company is convinced there is nothing wrong with everything up to the cat5 that runs to my comp, and I even changed it a few months ago.

Collapse -
Time to overhaul the Network:
by Papa Echo / June 24, 2010 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: PS3 and IPod

* New modem-router-try a different brand;
* New router-wireless access point - try same brand as modem;
* New cables;
* New spliter;
* Even New ISP;

Make sure modem and router settings are correct [DNS, IP, etc. Also set time at the modem and router is the same as or very very near to system time.]

Collapse -
new new new
by badnick2001 / June 24, 2010 11:21 AM PDT

Ok will try it.
I have my internet options set to auto detect. (not sure what boxes to check or uncheck, etc)
How do you set the time at the router and modem?
As far as ISP goes, where I live in the great white north, we only have 2 choices, I went with the most reliable and fastest service. Other than that I'd be back to dial up...

Collapse -
setting time...
by Papa Echo / June 24, 2010 1:48 PM PDT
In reply to: new new new

... at router, modem...

You type in the IP using your browser, which bring up the configuration page... look for a system or maintenance tab...

Collapse -
setting time
by badnick2001 / June 25, 2010 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: setting time...

ok I think that is not the problem. I talked to my ISP and they said no need to set the time for the cable box. Setting the time for the wireless would make sense, but it's unplugged and is no longer an issue.
With the wireless unplugged I'm still getting booted.

Collapse -
Change what was the same when there was a failure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2010 8:34 PM PDT

Our cable internet failed yesterday during a thunderstorm and heavy rain. BUT you knew it was them BECAUSE THERE WAS NO TV service at the time.

If the failure coincides with no TV then it's not you but can be cabling from them to you but here the weather was my clue it was not something here.

-->> Since you didn't change the cable modem, that's on the high suspect list.
Bob

Collapse -
cable
by badnick2001 / June 25, 2010 2:26 AM PDT

Phone and TV still worked (all through cable co.) so that's not it.

Collapse -
Which leaves us
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2010 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: cable

With the parts that didn't change. You didn't reply as to the blinky lights on the cable modem but that's what you want them to change next.

Collapse -
PS. One more thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2010 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: cable

Maybe I wrote about it, maybe I didn't. Torrent users complain about this often. All that I need to add here is that many torrent users get targeted by a DOS or Denial Of Service attack. This is yet another reason you must secure your wifi and know what your users are doing. It would be a shame to replace parts and then discover some one was using torrent or limeshare or bearwire or such.
Bob

Collapse -
not to be rude
by badnick2001 / June 25, 2010 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: PS. One more thing.

but I did say previously that 1) all modem lights show normal, and 2) I don't use torrents, or limewire, or etc...
and it's still kicking me out without the wifi.

So I'm thinking the problem has to be internal to my comp. Is there a way to log what's going on when I get booted? I found a file called 'problem reports and solutions' and it shows several instances of 'unable to diagnose/repair network' Looking at them, they all have different values for what was wrong. Is that what the techie will be looking for?

Collapse -
Let's say it's the PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2010 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: not to be rude

And I often repeat myself just to be sure. Not you but a few members don't know limewire can be a problem and is in the same "camp" as torrents. They might reveal more about downloading which gives me a clue to work with.

BACK TO THIS MACHINE.

If I suspect the machine I often boot from CD a copy of Ubuntu and let them get on the web with that. If that fails I look at hardware repair. If it works I look at their "Windows Install Plan."

Some don't have that plan but let's hear about what make, model machine this is and who installed the OS and their install plan.

KEEP IN MIND that some apps like Norton tend to drop connections when it nears its expiration. As I don't see all that is installed I can't guess if there is some demo ware or firewall+spyware+antivirus toxic combo or other issue.

TELL YOU WHAT. EMAIL ME VIA MY PROFILE the output of a HIJACKTHIS LOG (see google). That log will let me peek under the hood.
Bob

Collapse -
hijack this
by badnick2001 / June 25, 2010 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's say it's the PC.

okay, done. The only line i didn't send you was 'End of file - 6814 bytes'

Collapse -
OK, there's a few things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2010 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: hijack this

1. Those (no file) items are orphans.

2. I see Spybot's Teatimer, Superantispyware, AVG and WormRadar.

This is often a problem as these do tend to OVERLAP. My advice is to eject Spybot now and see if that helps. I've had issues with WormRadar so I've swapped out AVG for AVAST or others when I suspect that.

3. I'm happy to see Intel Matrix Storage Manager since I'm finding it can really help sluggish systems. No action here but it's a good sign your system might be in fine shape.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Collapse -
srybot + AVG
by badnick2001 / June 25, 2010 10:36 AM PDT

ok. I uninstalled spybot, left AVG for now, see what happens.
I clicked 'fix checked' for the 2 orphans, they still showed up on a rescan, but info said 'registry key and CLSID key are deleted, BHO dll file is deleted' I assume that means it is no longer an issue, so clicked 'ignore'
Thanks for all your help Bob, fingers are crossed...
If it drops again, I'll swap AVG for AVAST, if it doesn't drop me, I'll let you know on here in a couple days.

Collapse -
wireless connectivity
by nuccabay / June 25, 2010 2:06 AM PDT

I have an acer aspire one computer and just moved into a new place. The wireless on the computer seems to be working fine (Connected Signal Strength Excellent). I have done everything I know how to do, then followed the Windows Support website (obviously never helps) with this problem. Windows basically got me to the point saying my connection is absoluetly fine. However my problem isnt within the setup, its when I try to open a browser, both Mozilla and IE keep saying the www.google.com is not a valid address. I have done everything I can think of and have been at it for hours, I have even uninstalled the wireless driver restarted the computer, installed the wireless drive and restarted again. The connection at first will say limited or no connection, then about 5 seconds later says I am fully connected. My work computer, my roommates Apple and even my iTouch are working just fine. What can I do to get this connection to work properly?

Collapse -
This complaint
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2010 2:13 AM PDT
In reply to: wireless connectivity

Is often found when the wifi security is WEP or less. It confounds many but the fix has been the same for a very long time. Move to WPA (PSK) security.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.