Computer Help forum

General discussion

Losing disc space

I HAVE WINDOWS XP AND ITS IN A 8 Y.O COMPAQ COMPUTER. RECENTLY i NOTICED LOW DISC SPACE ERRORS SHOWING UPI THOUGHT IT WAS BECASUE I HAVE A LOT OF PICTURES IN MY PICTURES SO I GOT A FLASH DRIVE AND REMOVED ALL BUT ONE OF THE FOLDERS OF PICTURES AND A LOT OF DOCUMENTS FROM MY DOCUMENTS THAT BROUGHT MY SPACE BACK UP TO OVER 1.49 GB. THAT WAS ABOUT 3 WKS AGO I HAVE NOT LOADED ANY NEW FILES OR PICS AND NOW MY FREE SPACE IS LESS THAN 350 MB!! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG????? HELP PLEASE......

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Losing disc space
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Losing disc space
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
System Restore

In reply to: Losing disc space

It could be the system restore taking too much space. It basically save your computer setting periodically and it does take quite some space overtime.

Try clean up your junks (temporary files) using ccleaner. If your computer is running fine, turn off the system restore off and turn it back on. It will erase the old settings.

Collapse -
3 ideas.

In reply to: Losing disc space

1. Turn off System Restore and turn it back on.

2. Google CCLEANER. Use that.

3. Learn to not post in all capital letters. It can derail discussions.
Bob

Collapse -
turn off system restore?

In reply to: 3 ideas.

When I turn off system restore and back on will I have to back anything up first or just go to programs and accessories and check turn off box?

Collapse -
Your choice.

In reply to: turn off system restore?

While it is not supposed to lose our files are you ready if it did?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.