Computer Help forum

General discussion

Lori Grunin, CNET editor for digital cameras Live!

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 8, 2008 9:14 AM PDT

Ask the Editors Live! event. Topic: Digital cameras

Got digital camera questions? Need some buying advice on them?

Well, you've come to the right place. For one whole hour on Thursday, May 1, from 11 am to noon Pacific Time (2 pm Eastern), CNET digital imaging guru, Lori Grunin will be here to answer all things digital camera-related, from product recommendations to buying advice!

So if you got questions, Lori has answers! Don't miss out!

Click here for upcoming Ask the Editors Live events and past transcripts of events.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lori Grunin, CNET editor for digital cameras Live!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lori Grunin, CNET editor for digital cameras Live!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ask away
by lgrunin CNET staff / May 1, 2008 3:54 AM PDT

Hey folks! Welcome to another Ask the Editor Live. I'm Lori, digital-imaging editor here at CNET, and I've got all my browser tabs loaded with reference materials to answer your questions about digital cameras. Shoot!

Collapse -
dual-lens cameras
by rootsmusic / May 1, 2008 3:59 AM PDT

I was disappointed to learn that Kodak has discontinued their dual-lens product line. The dual-lens innovation won several awards, but why hasn't it been incorporated into cameras by other manufacturers?

Collapse -
kind of unwieldy
by lgrunin CNET staff / May 1, 2008 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: dual-lens cameras

it was a grunt-method solution to an admittedly difficult problem. I think it probably added extra cost to the camera that there's no margin for at that price point as well.

Collapse -
Which camera to buy?
by ROMANEMPYRE / May 1, 2008 3:59 AM PDT

I am looking at 2 cameras to buy, the Samsung NV24HD and the Panasonic DMC-FX500. Which one has the best picture quality?

Collapse -
I haven't seen them
by lgrunin CNET staff / May 1, 2008 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Which camera to buy?

We haven't yet tested either one, but based on historical performance, I'd probably come down on the side of the Panasonic.

Collapse -
Kodak M763
by daplacidone / May 1, 2008 4:00 AM PDT

I take a lot of pictures and really like this camera....did you guys test this one and what did you think

Collapse -
Not yet, unfortunately
by lgrunin CNET staff / May 1, 2008 4:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Kodak M763

But the bottom line is, if you like the camera, it doesn't really matter what I think Happy It's your opinion that counts.

Collapse -
NIKON p80
by PamBeard / May 1, 2008 4:00 AM PDT

Have you seen this camera, touched it??

What do you think??

Pam

Collapse -
Getting one tomorrow
by lgrunin CNET staff / May 1, 2008 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: NIKON p80

We just heard from Nikon that we'll be getting that model in tomorrow. Review should be posted within a couple of weeks (depending upon priorities) Stay tuned.

Collapse -
GPS cameras
by rootsmusic / May 1, 2008 4:02 AM PDT

I'd like to geocode my photos. What should I look for in a GPS device to attach to my digital camera?

Collapse -
interesting question
by lgrunin CNET staff / May 1, 2008 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: GPS cameras

Look for one that gets a good signal (not all GPS receivers are created equal), and that does a delayed coding--otherwise, it can slow down your picture taking.

Collapse -
Camera Upgrade
by CliffnMichelle / May 1, 2008 4:02 AM PDT

Currently I am using a cannon powershot A80, that I have liked allot, but I am going to Disney, and I want to have a better cam, something with a longer zoom, at least 6X, and I want a decent movie mode too.

I like the vari angle screen on my current cam, And was thinking about getting a Cannon with a similar feature, like the 5S, but I also saw the G9 which looks like a nice prosumer option, and even the panasonic travel zoom line looks appealing.

Any suggestions?

Collapse -
You don't want much...
by lgrunin CNET staff / May 1, 2008 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Camera Upgrade

...do you? Happy The flipping LCD screen plus long lens narrows your choices down considerably. Pretty much down to the Sony H9 or the Canon S3/S5 IS. I prefer the images on the Canons better, but either is a good choice.

Collapse -
When will you review
by ROMANEMPYRE / May 1, 2008 4:03 AM PDT

When will you be doing a review on the Panasonic DMC-FX500 and the Samsung NV24HD?

Collapse -
not sure
In reply to: When will you review

we haven't gotten either one in yet Sad

Collapse -
Entry Level Prizefight? Nikon D60 vs Canon XTi
by mikusi / May 1, 2008 4:04 AM PDT

I want to pull the trigger on a purchase and these two are in my price range right now... Suggestions between the two?

Collapse -
I like the XTi better

I think it has better photo quality, better performance and a better kit lens.

Collapse -
old school to new school
by Jabert / May 1, 2008 4:04 AM PDT

i have multiple minolta lenes used with traditional film.....is there any way to use these lenes on new digital slr cameras or is this investment passe?

Collapse -
Yes, you can use them
by lgrunin CNET staff / May 1, 2008 4:07 AM PDT

Sony was very good about maintaining backward lens compatibility. You may lose some capabilities in the camera's autofocus, but they should still work. Check out the details on support with the individual cameras before buying, though.

Collapse -
dSLR vs ultrazoom
by msmithmds / May 1, 2008 4:05 AM PDT

I'm going on a long , celbratory trip (including a safari) and am looking to step up from my compact PS to something to take once-in-a lifetime pix with. I've looked at the Canon, Nikon, etc. dSLRs, but am now thinking I might be better off with one of the newer ultrazooms, because I don't want to lug around lenses and not sure I'll ever become enough of a hobbyist to take advantage of the SLRs' features. Any advice?

Collapse -
good idea,
by lgrunin CNET staff / May 1, 2008 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: dSLR vs ultrazoom
Collapse -
pc boot up
by richncali / May 1, 2008 4:06 AM PDT

I have an HP that boots up verrry sloooow...how can I improve the boot up speed?

Collapse -
(NT) that doesn't sound like a camera question :)
by lgrunin CNET staff / May 1, 2008 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: pc boot up
Collapse -
memory chip
by markmtz / May 1, 2008 4:08 AM PDT

I have a Polaroid Camera Spectra that I brought in 1998 I have lost all the pictures I have taken does it have a memory chip or card to bring all the pictures back I have taken.

Collapse -
(NT) Nope, sorry, you're out of luck :(
by lgrunin CNET staff / May 1, 2008 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: memory chip
Collapse -
XSI vs 5D
by jherold / May 1, 2008 4:08 AM PDT

I current own the XTi and would Like to upgrade. I don't have Mark III D money but could squeeze a 5D or easily get the XSi which way should I go?

Collapse -
Two different animals
by lgrunin CNET staff / May 1, 2008 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: XSI vs 5D

It depends upon your usage. The XSi isn't as significant an upgrade from the XTi as the 5D would be. I'd also wait and see if Canon announces a replacement for the 5D later this year--it's been out a while. At the very least, if you couldn't afford the new one, the price on the 5D might drop.

Collapse -
Olympus 570
by haub123 / May 1, 2008 4:08 AM PDT

What do you think of the Olympus 570uz? And when will you have a review. Haub

Collapse -
still haven't gotten it
by lgrunin CNET staff / May 1, 2008 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Olympus 570

thus far, we've been a bit disappointed with the series--either performance or image quality concerns or both--but I am looking forward to trying that one out. Not sure when we're getting it, though Sad

Collapse -
GPS Geocoding device.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2008 4:08 AM PDT

The ATP GPS Photo Finder was noted a few months ago. Is it out?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.