Options/Tools and see if there is a checkmark somewhere to 'hang up after checking for mail'
That's almost always the problem child....
I have a real head scratcher here, on a friends PC. When the computer boots up to WinME, everything works fine. IE and Outlook work as expected. After about 5 minutes of surfing, I loose the ability to surf. Email does not work either. When I open a DOS window, I CAN still ping addresses by both IP and name. Yet I can not surf to any address, even if I specify the IP address. Rebooting the machine solves the problem for about 5 minutes of surfing.
Here are the details:
- OS = WindowsME
- Dell 1GHz / 384M RAM
- High speed cable access (5Meg/s)
- Norton A/V (current)
- All Microsoft updates applied
- Installed ZoneAlarm about a year ago, and everything worked fine.
- About a month ago, during a ZoneAlarm update, they accidentaly upgraded to ZoneAlarm Pro. Any yes, they did buy the license. Thats when some instability started.
- Last week, convinced ,y friend to drop ZoneAlarm Pro and install a home router (DLink 4 port).
- Uninstalled ZoneAlarm Pro (no problems)
- Did a full system clean, using an assortment of tools.
- Did a full registry clear/repair with "Tuneup Utilities 2006" (181 reg error / 130 app errors).
- Ran Search&Destroy. Only found 2 entries (nothing maor)
- After a reboot, the machine ran a bit faster, but still dropped the internet after 5 minutes of surfing. Pinging by IP or NAME still worked.
- Then ran one of many Winsock2 repair tools. Rebooted, No change.
My bag of tricks is empty. I can't find the problem. No spyware, no browser hijacker, no viruses (detected thus far).
Any suggestion, other then a complete reinstall?
Thanks in advance