Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Lookout....don't upgrade to 64-bit

by jijo272-19929603664454001560331024731446 / May 5, 2005 4:11 AM PDT

According to eWeek.com "Dangers lurk along Windows' 64-bit upgrade.........

According to this eWeek report, PC customers could void their warranties by upgrading to Microsoft's new 64-bit Windows XP.

Does anyone on CNET has more information about this???

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Lookout....don't upgrade to 64-bit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Lookout....don't upgrade to 64-bit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not news. For example XP Home to XP Pro voided it too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2005 4:41 AM PDT

I'd be more concerned about the lacking efforts by ZoneAlarm and Symantec for firewalls and antivirus.

At least we have other choices.

Bob

Collapse -
Re 64-Bit

I was concerned because I'm buying a new Dell and someone told me (attaching info from eWeek) that if I upgraded to 64-bit for $12 I would void my warranty. He said that I could upgrade when Dell said it was ok.

Does that sound reasonable?

Collapse -
Actually, Dell is shipping with XP64 now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2005 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Re 64-Bit

You may have to wait another week, but its a done deal.

For most that's the way to go since most will not know how to hunt down drivers, pay up for 64-bit antivirus and so on.

Bob

Collapse -
If it comes with XP x64...
by Yew / May 5, 2005 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Re 64-Bit

When you get the system, there's no way it could void the warranty.

But aside from having access to a few extra CPU registers, don't expect much of a speedup for your every day apps. Only programs that use 64-bit variables are likely to see a speed increase, and even then they have to be compiled for a 64-bit OS. Games will likely benefit in a big way... Once developers start providing 64-bit versions. But things like Office won't see a bit of change.

Collapse -
I have found that not to be true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2005 11:26 AM PDT

Virtual Dub for instance uses the 64-bit CPU to its advantage even in XP-32. And the app is ready for XP-64 as you may imagine.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!