Computer Help forum

General discussion

Looking to replace my old scanner

I had a very reliable HP 4100C Scanjet, worked great! That was until I got my new computer with Windows XP Media Center. So I'm out shopping and getting confused. Since I purchased my last scanner, I've gotten into digital photography and research. I now need a very high quality scanner (moderate price) that will scan photos acurately and be able to do some old 2x2 color slides. I am getting so confused as to what's new on the market. The scanners I've found as possibilites are: CanoScan 8600F, HP ScanJet G4010 & G4050 (due out in Feb '07) and the HP ScanJet 4890. Does anyone have advice on what to buy or look for? The reviews I've seen are all over the map. What one says is great another says it's awful. Any help would be most welcome!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking to replace my old scanner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking to replace my old scanner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"scan photos acurately" = $$$ not $$.

In reply to: Looking to replace my old scanner

Collapse -
In addition to Bob's advice

Go to local library and read the article in the February 2007 issue of Consumer Reports - Printers - Darkroom on a desktop, page 29. Short article. Also, May 2006, page 14 on Flatbed Scanners. Both articles include ratings.
Only a suggestion,
Eddie

Collapse -
hp scanjet 4100c

Do you really want a new scanner, or is it just that you can't get it to install on XP media centre? If it's just that you can't get it to install maybe this site will help, it worked for me changing a HP 4100c from 98 to XP, don't know whether it will work with media centre though. http://hardware.mcse.ms/message269299.html

Collapse -
Looking to replace my old scanner

In reply to: hp scanjet 4100c

Thanks for the info on the 4100C HP Scanner. Yes, that is why I'm started looking for a new one. I guess after researching I decided I do want to up grade and get a better photo quality and have the ability to do slides too. (I will keep these directions though. Do you know if these directions will work for a Win ME? If so, I could set up my old scanner on my daughter's computer.)

Julie

PS I'm going to check out the mag article and the other links. What I did find in my search is that not too many mag's etc. are rating scanners anymore. I guess they are not that hot of an item with the AIO's out there.

Collapse -
4100c and ME

Collapse -
HP 4890

In reply to: 4100c and ME

I do pretty much of what you are doing. I have the HP 4890 and have been very happy with it.
I do slides,( which it will let you scan 16 at a time) old pictures or any pictures for that matter and documents and they all come out great. The manual says you can also do negatives but I haven't tried that yet. It is also very fast compaired to other scanners I have used.
I have had it over a year and use it a lot without a hitch.

Collapse -
Looking for new scanner

In reply to: HP 4890

"I suppose digital cameras with a direct connection into the PC is enough for a lot of peoples requirements and possibly the decline in the scanner reviews may be for that reason."

I guess, but with all the people I know trying to archive family photos, articles and documents you would think more people would need a scanner. (Even the copy centers around here are starting to disappear.) Although I know you could accomplish some of this with an AIO.

"I do pretty much of what you are doing. I have the HP 4890 and have been very happy with it."

That's what HP referred me to, to replace my 4100C HP Scanner. (It had been very dependable all these years with no problems.) However, I was very disappointed with their customer sales support (via phone and on-line) when asking specifically about the G4010 & G4050. (They are listed on their web site as 'coming soon'.) I like the idea of using two different light sources with various color ranges to get a more accurate/natural color reproduction. (Kind of makes sense to me.) And that it's a 96-bit depth. However, I wasn't able to find out a targeted release date of Februrary until I came to CNET and found a video news clip of them interviewing someone from HP about it. (HP's response: Via Phone was 'I don't know anything about this, what's it called? What does it do? Etc. Oh, well just check the web site!' Via Internet: "We can not comment on items in concept development.")

Julie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.