Cameras forum

General discussion

Looking to buy new professional-quality SLR - opinions?

by Wildwing / January 28, 2009 12:07 AM PST

I'm either a very advanced amateur or low-level professional photographer--I don't go looking to sell pictures or do shoots but end up with business anyway. In the last two years my trusty Olympus C-750 Ultra Zoom has become less and less what I need and I'm going to have to get a SLR.

The main thing I'm looking for is something that can take pictures as fast as a film camera with none of that annoying delay when you press the shutter button. Another is, of course, the ability to change lenses since I do a variety of ranges from macro to far distance shots. Megapixel is not as important as speed since I barely print anything past 8 x 10.

Price isn't much of an issue, though I'd rather not spend over $1,000 for the base camera since I figure I'll be buying lenses as well.

Several that I'm looking at are the Pentax K20-D, Sony DSLR-A350K, and Canon Digital Rebel XTi. Any comments on these?

Last but never least, I do have to buy the camera at Best Buy because I want to use my Best Buy credit card which has no interest for 18 months Happy

Thanks in advance!

Suzanne
http://web.me.com/wildwing1/Pictures/My_Albums/My_Albums.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking to buy new professional-quality SLR - opinions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking to buy new professional-quality SLR - opinions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DSLR cameras
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 9:08 AM PST

You will be pleased with any of the DSLR cameras you listed.

I suggest you go to Best Buy and get your hands on the cameras you desire and see how they feel in your hands.
That usually helps with making a decision.

Collapse -
Digital cameras: Looking to buy new professional-quality SLR
by Wildwing / January 28, 2009 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: DSLR cameras

I suggest you go to Best Buy and get your hands on the cameras you desire and see how they feel in your hands.
That usually helps with making a decision.
---

I was going to do that--I'd never buy a camera without giving it a test run. I was hoping to get feedback from people who've owned or tried these ones. All have excellent reviews but I really like to talk to people who've actually used them. Especially on how fast they shoot when I'm looking ot spend quite a lot of money and want to be fully satisfied with my purchase.

Collapse -
What he was saying...
by HTHMAN / January 28, 2009 10:08 AM PST

All of the cameras you were listing will give you about the same image quality. How they feel in your hands is a personal thing. You need to pick them up and feel the fit and balance. Try out the menus. See which ones are easiest for you to makes the changes in ISO, white balance, shooting modes etc that you use most often.

The Sony and Pentax have image stabilization built into the bodies, so any lens you attach be it new or used (Minolta lenses for Sony) will also be stabilized. Canon and Nikon have stabilization built into some of the newer lenses. The debate goes on as to which is better. Also look at the Nikon D80 that is going for some bargain prices.

If live view is important to you, and I do not like it on a DSLR, the Sony is by far the best choice. If you do not need 14MPs, the Sony A300 is arguably a better camera. It shoots more FPS and gives better high ISO performance. The difference between 10 and 14MP is not 40% as is seems, but only about 18% difference in resolution. In normal sized prints, you will not see any difference.

You can not make a wrong decision. with lenses of comparable quality, you will get images of comparable quality. Buy what is right for you. I bought a Sony A200 because I was a Minolta Maxxum 35mm SLR user and had lenses for that cameera that fit the Sony, and it did not have live view. Because the cameras are similar, the leaning curve was very easy. I am totally happy with my decision and the results I get. If you want a more professional oriented (pro-sumer) camera and are willing to put $1000 in the body, consider the Sony A700. Faster shooting and better low light performance than any of those you have mentioned.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?