Laptops forum

General discussion

Looking to buy a sturdy laptop.

by brnforce / December 27, 2007 10:55 AM PST

After researching this for a little while I just went in a circle so I'll ask all of you. I'm looking for a desktop replacement laptop with the following specs:
-At least 200 Gb hard drive
-2.0 Ghz or greater processor (Core 2 duo preferred)
-15" or larger screen (high res would be preferred)
-2 Gb or greater RAM (I can supplement this for cheap)
-Price less than $2000
-And it has to be tough (it may need to last a couple years)

I need this for a job next year and it will be shipped overseas with me. I've done this trip a few times and it is pretty rough on the baggage (checked or carry-on). I don't need anything fancy program wise, I just want to use it to play my music and watch movies when I'm bored. Thanks for the help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking to buy a sturdy laptop.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking to buy a sturdy laptop.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Then there is only one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2007 11:00 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by brnforce / December 27, 2007 11:29 AM PST

I was looking into them but they are a little bit above my price range. Thank you for the suggestion!

Collapse -
Asus or Apple
by brightwindows / December 27, 2007 4:28 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I think with your budget you can get a Asus laptop , they are reliable,or you can get a Mac.

Collapse -
Beer budget?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2007 11:34 PM PST

Look again at the Toughbook but not the fully rugged models. They only cost twice as much but still take a fall where others will end up in pieces.

I can't suggest ASUS since repairs are (so far) only in the country of origin. This may be true with Apple as far as warranty but since you can pay then international repair is possible with Apple. Asus is too small a player here in the service center count.

Bob

Collapse -
further research
by brnforce / December 28, 2007 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: Beer budget?

Do you guys think that the following specs/price would be okay? Man there is a lot to consider with these things!

ThinkPad T61 15 Widescreen
$1,524.00
System Processor: Intel

Collapse -
(NT) This is nice but not meeting your spec.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2007 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: further research
Collapse -
k
by brnforce / December 28, 2007 9:29 AM PST

The hard drive is a bit smaller but the only 200Gb one is $300 more and is 7200 RPM. Is the extra speed noticable or should I just buy an acceptable 5400 drive?

Collapse -
(NT) It didn't meet the "tough" part.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2007 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: k
Collapse -
Hahaha
by brnforce / December 28, 2007 9:34 AM PST

I did not know that, thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?