HolidayBuyer's Guide

Peripherals forum

Resolved Question

Looking to buy a new headset

by James5655 / May 18, 2014 4:43 PM PDT

Hi everyone,

So I've decided to go and buy a new headset after my current one is getting a bit dodgy in some aspects.

I am limited to buying from this website: http://www.pccasegear.com
and I am quite confident in buying one of two Corsair headsets. I'm completely indecisive of which one though. One is a direct USB connection, and the other one is analogue that I would use with my Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer sound card.

First option: Corsair Vengeance 1500 v2 Dolby 7.1 USB Headset
(Note that this is virtual 7.1 surround sound with Dolby software)

Second option: Corsair Vengeance 1400 Analog Headset
(Note that this is stereo only)

My main concern is whether or not it is better to get the more recent 1500 model or the older 1400 model that I could use with my sound card.

I'm also open to suggestions of other headsets, although they need to be worth less than $110 on the website I mentioned. I'll be using the headset for the entire range of things from gaming to movies to music. I will be using the mic every day as well.

James5655 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking to buy a new headset
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking to buy a new headset
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by James5655

Collapse -
For 10 more dollars...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / May 20, 2014 2:19 AM PDT

I would go with with the newer Corsair Vengeance 1500 v2 Dolby 7.1 USB headset, unless the USB output limits your usage.

I would shop around other sites, looking up that model up on Amazon you can not only get the Corsair Vengeance 1500 for $25 dollars cheaper than the Website you are referring to, but also includes free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-1500-Headset-v2/dp/B00EXPNFQO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400602393&sr=8-1&keywords=%3A+Corsair+Vengeance+1500

For $5 less you can get the 1400:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Gaming-Headset-V1400/dp/B00EXPNGCM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400602450&sr=8-1&keywords=Corsair+Vengeance+1400

I guess since the site you are referring to is in Australia, Amazon isn't an option for electronic goods, but I would definitely shop around for a lower price.

My son uses a pair of Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 and he loves it, but it may not be up to your standards.
http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Gaming-Headset-Amplified-Xbox-360/dp/B00E5UHSX8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400602531&sr=8-1&keywords=turtle+beach+headset

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers!
-Lee

Collapse -
Thanks!
by James5655 / May 21, 2014 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: For 10 more dollars...

Your reply here is very much appreciated. I ended up going with the 1500 v2 and I am definitely enjoying it. Thanks again!

Collapse -
Answer
Do not buy from there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2014 12:24 AM PDT

Why? When a store or site does not address your concerns then it's time to move away from them as they are not meeting your needs.

About the USB or Analog area. I like the USB models and my son likes the Analog model. Good thing too since the headset he likes didn't cost much.

For about 30bucks at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006W41W7S/ he's done.
Bob

Collapse -
Misread?
by James5655 / May 19, 2014 4:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Do not buy from there.

I'm not sure what you're saying but I think you might have misread my post. I am beyond happy with the store I mentioned, that is part of the reason why I will ONLY buy from them. When you said "a store or site does not address your concerns" I have no idea what you're going on about, what are you saying the store is doing wrong?!

In terms of USB vs Analog, my question goes beyond just that, I am asking specifically about whether I should get an analog headset to make use of my sound card specifically.

Finally, the headset you suggested is below the standard I am looking for.

I must stress that fact that you somehow must have misread my post to tell me not to buy from PC Case Gear. I have made countless purchases from them and they have been flawless throughout it all. They are meeting ALL of my needs contrary to what you say.

Collapse -
If they did meet your needs, they would have answered.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2014 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Misread?

However an USB headset does it's own D to A conversion which will not use your audio card.

This can be a good thing since it keeps the audio clean until it's needed.

I'd still avoid that site because they are not answering your questions or worse.
Bob

Collapse -
No idea what you're on about
by James5655 / May 21, 2014 12:20 AM PDT

I am very aware that the USB headset won't use my sound card, and that was my concern.

Why would you expect the site to answer my question?! It's an opinion based question, there is no right answer as to whether the USB headset is 'better' than the analog that will take advantage of my sound card. My question isn't a 'right answer' question and there is no way and no reason that the site should answer my question.

Collapse -
Because that's what I expect from sellers and makers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 21, 2014 12:46 AM PDT

There are companies that want to dispense with customer service and just vend boxes. I don't care for such endeavors when folk need answers and more.

That's what I'm on about.
Bob

Collapse -
This is not one
by James5655 / May 21, 2014 2:08 PM PDT

This site isn't one of them at all, their customer service is impeccable! You have interpreted something I've said very badly somehow. I haven't even tried to contact their customer support, this is NOT a matter for customer support. I'm not looking for a technical answer, I am looking to hear opinions on my question from a range of people.

What on earth made you think the site I mentioned wants to dispense with customer service and be a vendor?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.