General discussion

Looking to buy a laptop for around $400-500..Any Suggestions

My Dell Laptop recently had a HD crash for the 3rd time and it's time for me to upgrade. I was looking at the Netbooks/Notebooks but wasn't too sure...the other thing I don't like is the Vista software...
Main uses for the computer...web surfing, music/media download, Word Documents and thats about it. I want something decently fast and reliable...what can anyone suggest?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Looking to buy a laptop for around $400-500..Any Suggestions
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Looking to buy a laptop for around $400-500..Any Suggestions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
My suggestions.

1. Get over Vista. I use it 98% of the time and I'm writing applications in Visual Studio 2008 and more.

2. Wait it out. In October, get a Windows 7 machine.

3. There are dozens of machines, nice ones at that price point. Just check your usual office supply chains, wal mart and the Dell brochures. All seem great.

4. The more machines I use with that Intel 4500 GPU the more I'm convinced Intel got that right.
Bob

- Collapse -
ok

Will the Windows 7 have a higher price than the current model Laptops....It's already been 1.5 months without a computer...I can keep using my iphone untill then....
Thanks

- Collapse -
Your guess is as good as mine.

Today I see fine 399 buck laptops albeit refurbs that are very usuable machines. As you peek over 399 you see the hard disk size jump from 160GB to larger and maybe the occasional blue tooth.

Plenty of fine deals out there.
Bob

CNET Forums