Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Looking forward to 2008

As I see it, in election year 2008 we'll have two fresh choices. If Bush wins this year he is inelligible and if Kerry wins he looks like a one term wonder to me. Lets hope the parties can find better choices. JMO. I have to vote because I need to have a voice but I'm really tired of voting the lesser of two evils.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking forward to 2008
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking forward to 2008
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Looking forward to 2008

In reply to: Looking forward to 2008

Rudy Giuliani and Hillary Clinton were both at some dinner recently, and Rudy joked that they'd both be voting for Bush this year.

I wonder though -- if Bush loses, do you think he'll declare that God only wanted him to serve one term?

Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Like father, like son

In reply to: Re: Looking forward to 2008

Collapse -
Course not...

He may be a Christian, but he isnt a Christian nut. Happy

Collapse -
Well, actually...

that possibility exists only if Bush wins. It is traditional protocol for the incumbent party to give the right of first refusal to the sitting president, or if s/he is in the second term, to the sitting vice president. If Bush wins now, in 2008 we'll likely see Cheney vs. ??? Democrat unless Cheney takes himself out. If Kerry wins now, we'll inevitably see Kerry trying in 2008 for a second term (regardless of his performance in the 1st term) vs. ??? Republican. Taking that thought to it's theoretic next step, if Kerry somehow gets that second term, in 2012 it would be Edwards vs. ??? Republican followed in 2016 by Edwards 2nd term vs. ??? Republican.

In a way, this is why Hillary must vote for Bush... it's the only way she'll get an opportunity to run for President for the next quarter century (short of upsetting standard political protocols, or others already in line volunteering to get out of her way, or her accepting 8 years of neglect as Edwards' VP until she can finally have her turn in 2020...).

dw

Collapse -
Re: Well, actually...

In reply to: Well, actually...

No way will Cheney run in '08 no matter who wins this year. His health is just too much of an issue. It's one thing for him to be VP but I just can't see it. Never mind the Halliburton stuff....

Collapse -
personally, I agree with you, Josh...

In reply to: Re: Well, actually...

but the way things work, that is for Cheney to initiate himself. If he were bonehead enough to insist he was tough, no problem, etc., etc., then the party would nominate him purely out of protocol and political courtesy. In my view, this is one of the (many) shortcomings of our process. We don't have an easy means by which a party (either party) can gently set aside a prior mistake. The only way out is to blindly serve up the mistake again and leave it to the people to vote with their feet. Whatever else one might say about LBJ, give him credit for the political wisdom to step aside from the second dance.

dw

Collapse -
Re: personally, I agree with you, Josh...

In reply to: personally, I agree with you, Josh...

I know what you mean. Bush I regretted picking Dan Quayle almost immediately but he was afraid that dropping him for the run for a 2nd term might make people think he believed he'd made a mistake initially, which of course he did, and so on. If he hadn't felt so pressured by all the politics and what would people think, he might have done better than he did. Not saying he'd have won, but who knows. I'm sure at least a few people voted for Clinton because the thought of a Quayle presidency terrified them.

Collapse -
I disagree

In reply to: Re: personally, I agree with you, Josh...

I dont think Quayle was a factor at all. I think it was all in the way they perceived the state of the economy. Traditionally they vote their pocketbooks, whether its fair to the candidates or not.

Of course in 2004, national security will also be an issue.

Collapse -
Re: I disagree

In reply to: I disagree

I know Quayle wasn't a factor for me; I wasn't about to vote for Bush anyway. He sure couldn't have helped though.

National security and the economy should be the two main issues this year.

Collapse -

In reply to: personally, I agree with you, Josh...

Hi, ****.

Cheney wouldn't be given a pass -- someone would run against him. And now that he's said he disagrees with bush on the Gay Marriage Amendment, the conservative base would have doubts...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: personally, I agree with you, Josh...

True, Dave, he is making a few ripples that might bother the conservatives, but 4 years from now (assuming for the sake of discussion that Bush wins now...) that will be forgotten. The only thing that will take Cheney out of the line of succession to the next nomination would be his own decision to step aside. There will be some token primary electioneering for purposes of the show, but the GOP headquarters will be moving towards a Cheney candidacy if he is headstrong enough to not avail himself of the health issues as a graceful way to bow out.

dw

Collapse -

I'm still waiting for some sort of legislative action allowing foreign-born US citizens to run for President...AHHHHNOLD!!!!

Collapse -

Hi, DR.

Ahnold, being pro-life and anti-gay marriage amendment, wouldn't stand a chance. The only way h managed to win Ca was the "open" nature of the election, as he wouldn't even have won the primary. Meanwhile, if that amendment were passed, it would open the door for Michigan Governor Jennifer (?) Granholm.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -

I love it when people pick one or two issues and say a person won't stand a chance...when the most of America is usually moderate and has a tendency to weigh the overall candidate. That's one thing both parties have forgotten in their clamoring for special interest voting blocs.
As a Republican candidate he'd wipe the floor with whoever he went against. Besides star power...which does help significantly, he's personable, is able to project himself very well through the media, is known to be many a person's hero or ideal (both republican and democrat), would be coming from a large Democratic state and would probably be able to win it, is married to a Kennedy, and is known to be a capable power player who would be able to handle himself well in dealings with other countries.
A significant advantage is given to the candidate who the people feel closer to or more familiar with, this helped FDR, Kennedy, Reagan, Clinton, and Bush 2...and assuming he doesn't make a major faux pas, he'd be able to decisively win.

Collapse -

He might win a general election, but he'd never get the nomination. The primary voters are even more extreme in their view than republicans in general.

Dan

Collapse -
I can't resist wagging back

Patrick you concluded with "I'm really tired of voting the lesser of two evils."

Yeah, but that is far nobler than voting for the eviler of two lessers.

(rain of stones fall upon netsky's head---deserved, ha ha!)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.