Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

looking for the right forum for ,NET framework

by ust1268 / January 27, 2009 11:56 AM PST

I want to know if, since the updates are cumulative, it's OK to uninstall the earlier updates.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: looking for the right forum for ,NET framework
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: looking for the right forum for ,NET framework
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: OK to uninstall the earlier updates.?
by caktus / January 27, 2009 12:42 PM PST

Other than what is mentioned at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
uninstalling the other updates will cause the SP 3 download to be much larger and take much longer, perhaps as much as 419 MB verses 30-60MB.

Charlie

Collapse -
re: RE: OK to uninstall the earlier updates.?
by ust1268 / January 27, 2009 11:53 PM PST

Thanks for the reply, but my question is about .NET framework and the article is about XP SP3. And your reasoning would mean that it is not cumulative.

Collapse -
I am authoring something using NET.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 12:41 AM PST

Ok it's mildly confusing. The NET 1.0 is not superceded or replaced by NET 2.0. If I have a NET 1.0 application and only installed NET 2.0 then the NET 1.0 application fails.

Is that the versionitis issue you are asking about?

Collapse -
RE: mildly confusing may be an understatement.
by caktus / January 28, 2009 1:05 AM PST

First, it seems I misunderstood the question. Sorry 'bout that.

While I haven't experienced this, or just haven't noticed since I have maintained everything 1.1 through 3.5, I have read somewhere that some apps(?) will only work with an earlier version. And that some apps(?) are still being written for earlier versions.

Collapse -
What happens in NET 1.0 stays in NET 1.0
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 1:40 AM PST

I have yet to see any success running a NET 1.0 with a NET 3.5 library. I have to go install NET 1.x and then my NET 1.x app runs.

This area is stinkier than a cow pasture on a warm summer day.

Collapse -
Speaking ot " stinkier than a cow pasture"
by caktus / January 29, 2009 12:09 AM PST

I used to live next door to a Clover dairy. And as if that were not bad enough, I would often get up a 3:45 AM and herd the Holsteins into the milking barns before school and many areas of pastures, particularly in Winter the mess would be so deep that my hip waders often were not much help. But back then $6 a day, (for two hours) for a kid was a lot of money.

Collapse -
(NT) There was more than mud in the mud room!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2009 12:48 AM PST
Collapse -
I used to live at a Clover dairy. And as if that were not ba
by caktus / January 29, 2009 1:49 AM PST

Had to strip and hose down before I could enter the house at all. Then straight to the shower, breakfast, then the school bus. The bus ride was about 40 minutes, enough time for a quick nap.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!