HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Looking for the best in computer security

by vifirebird / September 24, 2007 8:45 AM PDT

I just bought a brand new computer. It is my first brand new computer in 9 years. I'm looking for a computer security software with the following features:
1) the best in anti-virus
2) blocks pop-ups
3) removes spy/ad-ware
4) firewall
5) phishing filter
6) anti-spam (in e-mail)
7) works with vista

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for the best in computer security
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for the best in computer security
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The best all depends on who
by roddy32 / September 24, 2007 10:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
Just a POV
by Willy / September 25, 2007 1:48 AM PDT

I found many advise on this or that and often the use of "freeware or shareware" products. They do deliver the goods but they also are not the absolute best but are certainly better than nothing, far better. I just make this point only that one should serious consider a paid for AV/Anti-whatever pgm. that on its own virtues tries to keep the baddies at bay on a timely basis. Since, you mentioned Vista, that alone may narrow the freeware/shareware available but they'll for sure become available. I won't recommend any AV pgms. to just keep the choices wide open even if freeware/shareware just so I'm not seen pushing one over another. I like to leave that many freeware/shareware AV pgms. do provide a paid service upgrade or expanded option(s) above what a basic/lite version has, is worth considering amongest others.

adios -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
How about a post with those dissenting and sharing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2007 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a POV

Microsoft's products. What about ALEXA? Why does this product give a known spyware a pass?

Symantec's products. While it may protect a machine I couldn't find resolutions to issues over a long list of items. Support failed me here so out it went.

McAfeee. Same issue as Symantec. In fact sometimes I ran into situations where it toasted the OS over the years. They do try harder but in their retail products I've learned to not try them ever again.

-> What's left?

Bob

Collapse -
Abit of history, but only POV
by Willy / September 25, 2007 9:04 AM PDT

I'll use Webroot's SpySweeper as an example. The release upto v5.0 was very good and on the money. Then V5.5 came out and it got bloated and seemed to slow down alot or the system. They did provide a patch to help correct or provide info to help resolve. Now, that wouldn't be so readily done with freeware/shareware unless of course it was doing harm and users got "real angry" or the fix response would be slow.

Now, you can point to paid for version like MS OneCare as real lackluster but Giant that originally owned it was pretty darn good before MS brought it. MS, is all that needs to be said.

As for Symantec AV, it was good upto 2003 and then I ran away after all the problems. But at least they tried to fix some problems, try with freeware, etc. and it just doesn't happen at least on a timely basis. Yeah, I know about McAfee too, but it does do the job when truly up and running. It seems some users are pissed when they can't get rid of it.

I use small freeware pgms. that do one job/task very well, but hardly progresses from there. Usually, that task/job is rolled into paid versions or commercials as just more item to do, which can start the bloated process.

I just don't want too many users singing the virtues of freeware/shareware simply because its free or low cost and just on that be too comfortable. Commercial releases do a darn good job of trying to provide a decent product and have quick fixes/cures/updates on a daily or hourly basis, that just isn't readily so with the others. I use ZoneAlarm Free, but find the updates really painful due their ever increasing size, heck I use dial-up but that's me. So getting the paid for version wouldn't cure that issue but still I like ZoneAlarm(free). There is a seesaw pattern of what's good and bad, I just wanted to point out some weakness in freeware/shareware that when tested(magazines&websites) seem to have lower scores on many of the attacks out there. But, at least they do stop many/some blatant malware.

ciao -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.