Laptops forum

General discussion

Looking for Some H\elp Making my final decision on the best

by KJT6660 / June 6, 2007 7:44 PM PDT

I have gotten some good help. All the negative people who hang together and support each other's negative remarks, please stay away. I really need some help refining my decisions.

I like the place in Canada that a guy gave me a link to. I am not sure which machine is best for me as a Wellness Coach doing all my work on line via the American College of Sports Medicine and Wellcoaches web platform.

the Santa Rosa seems like a good thing but I am stuck on the Bluetooth headset, mic, and camcorder. I agree the quality o the camcorder would be better but I cannot find out through the tech support at Wellcoaches if the cam corder can be used as a live camera. I need to be able to hook into the web platform, meet my client, and we both have the camera, or whatever to see each other.

The coaches should be better quality because sometimes I need to demonstrate exercise technique, work on some kind of presentation live, etc. I have only used the eye camera.

With the HP that people recommended I am worried about breaking it, scratching it, or something like that. The outer shell of the ones I saw at Costco reminded me of the Sony, and I despise Sony Vaios. it might be good but I am a big guy and had on things even know I try not to be.

So any final advice is welcomed. Any advice on the headset with mic like the freaky singers use. Happy I would like all that to be Bluetooth. I would get a raise to be able to freely move around. All the movie stars would hear about me and want me as their coach. Kevin Costner would even give me larger tips. OK, sorry I am getting carried away

I do need Office, the one with Publisher too and I have 2 academic-type programs one for nutrition and one for fitness evaluations and program design. Both I use a lot when coaching. Other than that, I cannot think of any programs exact the virus/spy/ad ware stuff.

So, any final thoughts from the real nice experts, please. maybe you can even help me configure it. I can go to Costco.com and configure HP.

Thanks for all the positive help. One final question. I have never used WiFi. With all the HIPPA and legal laws about confidentiality does anybody have any resources that address the best ways to make sure nobody can get in on your wireless connection? Remember, as somebody put it on this forum, I seem like a guy who needs a notebook but does not know how to use a notebook. Not really true but I think to a point when it comes to the inner workings, they are right.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for Some H\elp Making my final decision on the best
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for Some H\elp Making my final decision on the best
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let me answer the WIFI security item.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2007 11:20 PM PDT
Collapse -
thanks
by KJT6660 / June 7, 2007 5:55 PM PDT

when I got the Sony's and turned 2 of them on at different times of course, I clicked the wifi icon near the clock and a box came up with 4 names, the strength of their signal, if it was secure, etc. this was right out of the box without charging the notebook first. I would think that there would be settings in the machine that would allow you to set it to the best or your own kind (sorry I do not know the right terminology) of what I think is called encryption key like WPA2 is the latest.

Does the anti-everything that is on computers now and firewalls help with the wifi connection?

Also, I am glad you answered me because I found a place online in Canada called milestone.com or something like that. The do sell good hard working notebooks and do a clean install of the OS with zero ad ware, bloat ware or anything like that. I asked the guy who is helping me online and he has said several times that my questions are very cerebral, so I knew on CNET, especially from that other dude who got into all my posts that things were off it. I was hoping there were nicer places to be and forums that could see through my lack of knowing about the innards, and actually try to understand what I was asking and help me. I found several other places that I did not have any problems.

But since you were kind of nice to me at times, I did want to get your opinion on this Ji8 machine (I cannot remember the exact model number but the maker's name began with an Asus or something like that. This one guy o another forum told m to wait for Santa Rosa but I see it is already out in a lot of machines. I am not thinking of a Dell with Santa Rosa, maybe get it from this company milestone.com who will remove all the crap with a clean install. However I am not sure what happens to the warranty. The Dell1505 or 0505 seems to get good reviews and seems like it would be good fro my needs, which are the same. yes I still have not purchased then Wellness Coaching Notebook because of this new site and another one like it. I asked the guy who is in charge of all US sales and I asked him if he is a computer coach. he said; WHAT!.. he had not idea what I was asking and he speaks perfect English. so now to find an awesome deal and make sure the wifi can meet the HIPPA laws.
Be Good and Thanks!

Collapse -
Just about networking. FOUR NAMES?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2007 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

If you connect to one that's NOT YOURS!!! All semblance of security is gone. The only one to connect to is yours.

About WPA2. Nice if it works. It's that simple. Today the best combo is to leave SSID broadcasting (on router) and WPA. This way we don't run into hardware that didn't get WPA2 support.

" Does the anti-everything that is on computers now and firewalls help with the wifi connection? "

Only on YOUR wifi network. There is something called EVIL TWINS which we must avoid today. Here's the CNET article -> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-5630181-1.html

As to the Sony, I avoid those since Sony has been non-supportive of clean installs. The biggest problem is finding all the drivers. Sorry, but I don't do Sony for this and other reasons. (which are the Sony Rootkit and what happens when we change the OS on a Sony.)

I am not a HIPPA expert but as long as you have a firewall and stay on your own network you'll probably do fine.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Collapse -
Question
by KJT6660 / June 8, 2007 5:35 PM PDT

I think I followed you on this but I might have some clarifications.

I was wondering if you could take a look at a few sites and let me know what you think about getting a good system and REALLY have my specifications applied to the machine with the zero bloat ware, ad ware, etc by their clean install of the OS.

I am open for all honest opinions.
1. This one I did not look at the name of the machines but I wrote them a long e-mail about my needs. I will see how they respond to that. You know how most people take my questions. I think you got a good idea on here. I did see with the first site that the warranty for USA customers is through Philips Magnavox.
http://www.m-techlaptops.com/

2. http://www.milestonepc.com/

Thanks
KJT

Collapse -
The one with the Asus gets the nod.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2007 9:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Question

Why? There is hope for spare parts past year 2. If you research Alienware you discover owners with doorstops due to no spares. After too many disasters (people I've helped over the years) I have to soundly pan any of the nonames. I take some flak over that stance but its from watching 14 to 24 month old laptops that can't be repaired due to "parts."

Unlike a desktop, there are some major pieces that you can't substitute.

As to the OS install, let's hope they provide you a way to reload this OS on your own. I know someone that went down that road...

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) What's the issue with WPA2?
by Igiveup2 / June 10, 2007 10:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Why I stop at WPA today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2007 12:06 PM PDT

Your choice but not all devices are ready for WPA2. In fact, XP didn't get WPA2 support for some time and some routers don't have it.

There is no known cracking tool for WPA that is noteworthy or fast enough to call WPA broken today.

Bob

Collapse -
WPA2 Issues
by debra_carlson / October 19, 2007 5:32 AM PDT

I have a Dell laptop, and wanting the -n option, went with the Dell 1505 card. WPA2 is only available for speeds above 130mBPS, so it won't work with my 108 or other MIMO-technology routers in that mode - must be WPA or WEP (don't recommend this one). Seems like a serious issue for Dell to address, in my view, but when configuring a router, beware that a number of their cards have this same limitation.

An alternative is to have "loaner" cards for yourself, or your friends, that support WPA2.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?