Laptops forum

General discussion

Looking for Some "Expert" help with the purchase of a Dell X

It is interesting, I spent 2 hours last night researching and trying to get halfway through the steps Dell has one go through when putting this Notebook together. I started wondering what they were doing by asking about GPS, all these extra stuff like batteries, chargers, etc. Anyway, I finally got some help from the XPS Expert Chat guy who convinced me to save it in a cart and he would help me finish tomorrow. he said he would get some kind of credit for helping or selling it to me. The last step had it at about $2300. I am not a gamer, no video making, just a Wellness Coach who needs the majority of the "main" stuff it has.

I am wondering if there is someone who would like to be my mentor as I try and put together the XPS that will be best for my needs. I have no idea what to think about Vista. I love XP Pro so that is what I got with the possibility of getting Vista and paying $10 for shipping. You think they could pay some of the minor fees i someone is buying a nearly $3000 machine.

But as far as many of the other stuff, I have a feeling they are double accessories, although they do not say it.

I would like to go through what I am purchasing who has no ties with Dell. Ah, BTW, I went to retrieve my notebook this am twice and it was there. However tonight it is gone. I think that XPS Expert guy got rid of it because he could not reach me today. I was at work all day so I had my cell off.

So that is where I stand and would like some help. If anybody knows about these processors, hard drives, RAM, etc. I would appreciate some help. Maybe we could both go on the site and interact that way somehow.

Anyway, my e-mail (which is a dumb move I know but I will delete all the e-mails after I find someone to help me. This is an address I use for stuff like this anyway.

Much thanks ahead of time. Happy and Blessed New Year,
Kooler the Man to Have.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for Some "Expert" help with the purchase of a Dell X
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for Some "Expert" help with the purchase of a Dell X
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE

In reply to: Looking for Some "Expert" help with the purchase of a Dell X

Hey I took the liberty of customizing a Dell XPS machine myself for you. Bellow is the specs for the machine, now a few things. You really didn't give much information about specifically what this machine would be for, and you also did not give to much insight on what you really wanted to spend, so judging from the price you were talking about in your original thread, I went ahead and put this together.

My Components

PROCESSOR Intel

Collapse -
Why "N"?

In reply to: RE

Why would you recommend 802.11n? He can't take advantage of that until several years from now at the very least. That's what I was told. Do you work for Dell?

Collapse -
I like to think ahead

In reply to: Why "N"?

Again the orginal poster has gave me no idea of what he wanted this laptop for, or price range. I gave him n thinking of the future. If you read my thread I specifically say that you gave me hardly any information. And much more would be great so I could help him price out a system that is good.

Collapse -
way too expensive

In reply to: Looking for Some "Expert" help with the purchase of a Dell X

I have seen nothing that you wrote that requires you to get a notebook costing more than $1000.

Collapse -
I agree

In reply to: way too expensive

KJT6660, you need to give as more information. From what little you have already given, I agree with linkit you will not require a machine costing more then $700, if that. I based the XPS config off of the price range you mentioned you were at in original thread, and in doing so I doubted that you would require a machine of this high end price and features. Give me some more information and I could cut back prices and features accordingly.

Collapse -
I also agree with linkit

In reply to: I agree

Absolutely no needs to get a laptop as powerful as a Dell XPS !!!!!!

I play games like BattleField 2 and games like that with my Dell Inspiron E1505 ans it is perfect.

If you need the mobility of a 12.1", get a Toshiba. I think they are less expensive than a Dell XPS Wink

The Wireless norm "n" is, for the moment, a gadget. Gamers will "need" it maybe, but I pass my days in front of Firefox using a 54 Mbps Wireless G internet connection and I don't see a difference in downloads between the Ethernet ( 100 mbps ) and my Wi-Fi ( 54 mbps ). I always download between 400 and 600 kbps ... Gamers will maybe need this new technology because the wireless adapter sends a lot of information from the games ...

The Mobile Broadband Antenna is really nice ... Happy

A 7200 RPM HDD will offer you good performances, but it will take more power from the battery. I personnally have a 80 GB 5400 RPM and it is nice, even if I run applications like Photoshop, Illustrator or other softwares of this range ...

You don't need 2 GB RAM 667 MHz ... I have a 512 MB DDR2 533 MHz ( 1*512 MB ) and it is correct for websurfing and running office softwares ( Word, excel ... ). When I run Photoshop or Illustrator, then, my system slow down a little bit, but it is acceptable. If your computer is clean, the machine will respond well.

Vista Business ... Personally, I would not have it ... You don't have the Media Center software ! Do you work with your laptop more than you make multimedia tasks ? I think you don't ...

GPU is ok for a better future.

Dell makes very nice laptops. I'm really happy of my Dell Inspiron E1505 Happy

I've paid 1500 $ CDN ( arround 1300 $ US ) for my laptop. For an ultraportable, 2000 $ is the big limit ... And ask you this question : do you really need an ultraportable laptop ? If you carry it all the day, then, it is the best size. But if you plan to move it occasionnally, why not choose a 15.4" ? You'll pay less, games will be better ( beleive me, playing Battlefield 2 on a 12.1 " display is not the best ... ) and you can also carry it where you want.

This is all I have to tell you.

Good luck in your buying !

Collapse -
THANKS AND SORRY FOR BEING AWAY SO LONG

In reply to: I also agree with linkit

I was led to the XPS for several reason. 1. My work suggested the CPS M Intel

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.