HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

General discussion

Looking for smartphone with desktop PIM

by drmartha / April 8, 2010 12:14 PM PDT

Hi, all. I have been a Palm user for many years, and currently have a 2 year old Centro. I know I'm going to have to get a new phone sometime. Was waiting for the Pre to come out on ATT but it no longer has the desktop PIM. Not willing to trust my information to "the cloud." Tried a Blackberry Bold, after having been told that the Desktop Manager had a PIM. Wrong! Took it back becasue I couldn't even transfer my Palm info. Long story short, is there a smart phone that comes with a desktop PIM a la Centro, so I can keep my information on my hard drive? Or is compatible with Win7 Live Mail calendar? If not, I'd be willing to consider the PDA-and-phone combination again,if possible, but would need suggestions there. Help appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for smartphone with desktop PIM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for smartphone with desktop PIM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Separate issues/questions
by Pepe7 / April 9, 2010 1:54 AM PDT

You don't say it outright, but it sounds like you have separate issues.

-A new (smart)phone with desktop syncing software, or a smartphone which can work with something you already use (e.g. Outlook, etc.)

-Something which can utilize/import/transfer over your old Palm data(?)

The first part is easy. Windows mobile device center (software) allows you to easily sync w/ Outlook-

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/help/getstarted/getstarted.mspx#2

The ATT branded Tilt 2 would work for this purpose. Getting that Palm data into Outlook would make the process quite easy. There are other third party programs to help move Palm data, but all aren't compatible with the various handsets/mobile OSs. Before you choose a phone though, you might want to nail down the other stuff first.

Collapse -
Separate issues
by drmartha / April 9, 2010 2:33 AM PDT

Thanks. I don't have Outlook. I have an older version of Office and the Outlook is not compatible with Win7 (won't install from CD). Do I need to go out and buy a new Office? If I had Outlook, could I keep my information there, on my computer, and sync as needed? Live Mail has a calendar and contacts - why isn't anything compatible with that? (sorry for the whine.)

Collapse -
Yes, updating office would be one option
by Pepe7 / April 9, 2010 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Separate issues

But doesn't Live Mail store the older messages for offline viewing too? That might be the way to go if you could utilize windows live mobile, [to throw one more iron in the fire ;)]. Some limitations exist, and perhaps the wireless carrier ROM/software may also be a place for certain bugs to appear. More info-

http://mobile.microsoft.com/live/en-us/mobile/faq/whats_included.mspx

Collapse -
Updating Office
by drmartha / April 9, 2010 8:22 AM PDT

I probably will update the Outlook, but this sure is getting complicated. I appreciate your help. BTW - MS has a page saying you can download a free trial of Outlook 2007, but it doesn't seem to be available anymore - :(.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.