Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Looking for ScanDisk software for XP Home Edition

by browserx / March 5, 2010 2:24 AM PST

Anyone have any recommendations for a commercial ScanDisk substitute for XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2?

I'm familiar with chkdsk and don't like it.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for ScanDisk software for XP Home Edition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for ScanDisk software for XP Home Edition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sp2
by jeff_windows_team / March 5, 2010 2:42 AM PST

I don't have a reco on teh ScanDisk question, but you might want to get SP3 before the summer because support for XP SP2 will cease at that time.

Collapse -
What it is ...
by Kees Bakker / March 5, 2010 3:02 AM PST

you don't like in chkdsk, so you prefer the old scandisk (from Windows 95, 98 and ME, I think)?

Kees

Collapse -
Scandisk
by browserx / March 5, 2010 12:11 PM PST
In reply to: What it is ...

Yes

Collapse -
(NT) That's not a very informative answer.
by Kees Bakker / March 5, 2010 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: Scandisk
Collapse -
A couple you might try are ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 6, 2010 6:18 AM PST
Spinrite and Norton Disk Doctor to see which you might prefer. Neither is free but both will fix the drive and recover data files.

Freely available would be the drive diagnostic software from the drive manufacturer. The downside here is that it will not save your data files.
Collapse -
Spinrite & Norton Disk Doctor
by browserx / March 6, 2010 8:57 AM PST

Thanks Ed...

I'll look at Spinrite. I have an old (2002) copy of NDD that I transferred from my old W98 machine, but after running it against my XP, chkdsk still found problems.

I'll check out Spinrite first and then perhaps even get a recent version of Norton.

Thanks for the steer.

Collapse -
I wonder if there is a clue in your post above.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 6, 2010 7:35 PM PST

"chkdsk still found problems."

What does that mean? You ran XP's own ChkDsk and it has found problems?

If that why you are looking for different disk scanners you may be better off investigating the problems that ChkDsk found and trying to resolve those.

Just as a precaution I would start backing up those personal, 'cannot afford to lose' files you have on that disk, just in case ChkDsk is reporting anything serious, like an imminent disk failure.

Mark

Collapse -
chkdsk and backup
by browserx / March 7, 2010 8:40 AM PST

Hi Mark...

Thanks for the added input. Yes, it is/was XP's own chkdsk
that reported the problem; that's the only chkdsk that I
know of. Is there an alternate version of chkdsk that I
might run using XP?

As far as resolving the problems that chkdsk was reporting,
I don't have the skills or the knowledge to pursue them
beyond using the option provided by chkdsk (re-running
chkdsk using the /f switch) which will only run during a
re-start and even then doesn't clear the problem.

And yes, I do have a complete backup of all data, etc. So
if something drastic occurs, I'm well covered there.

Thanks again for the followup.

Collapse -
I agree with Mark.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2010 12:46 AM PST

Even I had a drive that chkdsk and dozens of softwares could not correct. That drive and file system hung around the office for almost 4 years since it worked and we had a backup copy. We kept it as a curiosity so we could try all the tools to see if any could correct it.

Since it was in NTFS the options were limited over the years but one day we came to the realization that it was time to move on. We made yet another full image just in case and deleted the partitions on the drive and started over.

Drive and files are doing fine.
Bob

Collapse -
Me too!
by browserx / March 7, 2010 8:51 AM PST
In reply to: I agree with Mark.

Agree with Mark, that is.

Hi Bob...yes, it's a valid point, fix the problem vice look for another diagnostic tool. I guess I was just hoping for a tool smart enough to define the problem and fix it. I'm sure not smart enough to do either.

But the system seems to keep humming along, in spite of itself and in spite of me, and as Mark pointed out, a solid backup of necessary files is in place.

Thanks for the input.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?