Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Looking for program similar to Image Fox

by prvk / January 15, 2009 6:26 AM PST

Hi everyone.

A while back, I purchased Image Fox from ACD Systems as a stand-alone utility. What it did was.... When saving an image with XP's standard "save as" window, Image Fox was attached to the right side of the save window, and created thumbnails of any image in the save window that was already on your harddrive. That way, if you had an image that had the same name as the one you wanted to save, you could go to that filename in the save window and click on it to see if it was the same as the one you were trying to save, or not. I'm now having trouble with Image Fox, ACD Systems no longer sells or supports it, and a remove and re-install does not cure the problem. I'm wondering if there are any similar applications available. I've looked and searched, but can't find any. Any help or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Peter

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for program similar to Image Fox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for program similar to Image Fox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell us more
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 7:54 PM PST

What problems are you having with this software?

The fact that it is no longer supported should not be a difficulty if it is still working, so perhaps there is something can be done to 'fix it'.

Also, it may be the problem is elsewhere with your Windows system other than that software itself so more details of what is happening may help.

Mark

Collapse -
Image Fox problems
by prvk / January 16, 2009 1:08 AM PST
In reply to: Tell us more

Hi Mark.

When XP starts (Image Fox was in Startup), I get the following message: "Plug-in 'IDE_ACDStd.apl' could not be loaded. Some features of Image Fox will not work correctly without this plug-in". I have removed and reinstalled IF twice now, the second time after going through the registry and deleting all the keys associated with IF. None of this helped. I went to ACD System's knowledge base and d/l'ed a new copy of the file and installed it, to no avail. I've been thinking of trying to initiate a repair of XP with recovery console, but haven't quite gotten that far yet. I just haven't convinced myself that it's an OS problem.

If it matters, I built this machine a few months ago, and it has been running flawlessly, until this issue came up. I'm running XP Home with an Intel 2.6 mhz quad core and 4 gb of RAM on an ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard and an ATI Radeon Saphire video card.

I'm open to all pointers and suggestions. I really like Image Fox and do not want to replace it, but at this point, I'm really leaning toward the idea that IF is somehow broken, and I can't get a new copy of it, since nearly all online references to it point back to ADC, who no longer sells or supports it.

Thanks for your support. Happy

Peter

Collapse -
Plugin problems
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 16, 2009 4:05 AM PST
In reply to: Image Fox problems

Like you, I don't think this is an OS problem, but I have never used IF, so I know nothing about it.

However, Googling both Plugin 'IDE_ACDStd.apl amd Image Fox Plugin 'IDE_ACDStd.apl, I can see that this is a problem that has been raised before.

It may be that IF could not find the plugin "IDE_ACDStd.apl". One resource I found suggested that a newer version of ACDSee had created a different folder for the plugin, and the files in that new folder were copied to the original plugin folder, then the software was run and pointed to the older folder.

Can you do a search of your files for IDE_ACDStd.apl? If you find it and it is not in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\ACD Systems\PlugIns folder, copy it to there. Then open the IF software, goto Tools > Plugins, and make sure you can point to the correct folder.

That was from GeekStop here; http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/ACDC-Image-Fox-problems-t6888.html

If that doesn't work, then I would uninstall again, go through the Registry and delete all IF and ACDSee keys, (as long as you have no other ACDSee products installed, and make sure you know how to backup the Registry and recover from a crash, if need be), and then hunt down all related folders and files and delete those. Remember, in Windows XP, there may also be some folders in your Account Profile folders.

After that, reboot the computer before attempting to re-install. That will update the registry of all the changes.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!