Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Looking for ONE powerful wireless base station for BIG house

by spdorsey / April 2, 2009 2:36 AM PDT

Hello

My parents have a large house in California. About 7000 sq ft. We are looking for a wireless solution that will suit their needs. They have standard DSL service. They have an iMac, a Powerbook, and a Mac Book Air. Also 2 iPhone 3Gs.

They also have a second home in Idaho which has its own Airport base station and which seems to work fine (because there is only one).

I currently have them using an Airport base station and 2 airport expresses in the California house. The relays constantly drop, and it's hard to get them to log into the correct base station in the correct part of the house. They are constantly confused about the whole thing.

I think the solution is to get a VERY powerful base station (any manufacturer will do) which will allow us ot set up ONE wireless network and name it "California". Then they can come home, log in, and not worry anymore.

Any ideas here? Can anyone suggest a single wireless router or station that will support a 7000 s1 ft home through walls and 3 stories?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for ONE powerful wireless base station for BIG house
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for ONE powerful wireless base station for BIG house
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One won't work . . .
by Coryphaeus / April 4, 2009 11:27 PM PDT

FCC regulates and restricts the power output of such devices.

You may have to hire a wireless networking contractor to install this network professionally.

Collapse -
Not made.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2009 12:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
Suggestion

I found this thread while researching a WGXB102, If you have the money and want one ap look at the smallest Xirrus unit.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.