Laptops forum

General discussion

Looking for New Notebook

by bjwold24 / September 16, 2005 11:56 PM PDT

I'm looking for a notebook computer. Can anyone give a good recommendation? I will be using it for school, misc. work functions, etc. Accounting and finance will be most of school work; including powerpoint presentations.

Thanks in Advance
Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for New Notebook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for New Notebook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Probably a middleweight 15.4" widescreen notebook?
by Technojunkie2 / September 17, 2005 12:11 AM PDT

I'd go with something like an Acer Travelmate 4400. 15.4" widescreen, AMD Turion CPU, Radeon X700 video, 100GB 5400RPM HD (very nice), zipzoomfly.com usually has the best price on them ($1200?). If you want a faster Turion or other options check out this notebook:
http://xmeld.com/html/msi1029.html
If you want something really small and light, these things are really neat:
http://xmeld.com/html/msi1013.html
but I'd put up with the extra 2-1/2 pounds for the much larger screen and better GPU of the MSI-1029.

Collapse -
What's on your list?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2005 1:00 AM PDT

There are a few hundred models that would meet the requirements in your post. Can you narrow it down a bit?

Collapse -
Looking for New Notebook
by bjwold24 / September 17, 2005 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: What's on your list?

Possibly a Toshiba or Sony Brand....

Thanks

Collapse -
Looking for New Notebook
by bjwold24 / September 17, 2005 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: What's on your list?

Is there truth that the Pentium 4 processors have an overheating problem in notebooks?

Thanks

Collapse -
Not when new.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2005 7:58 AM PDT

Such are fair for desktop replacements, but to call such a notebook is a stretch of the definition.

Why do that?

Bob

Collapse -
Maybe, maybe not
by Technojunkie2 / September 17, 2005 2:37 PM PDT

but don't sit a P4 notebook on your lap if you plan on ever having children (and you're a guy) and stay very near a power plug. Battery life and heat are atrocious and its power management capability is primative at best. It's bad enough they put those things in desktops but it's insane to put them in portables. HP dropped the P4 in favor of Athlons when they made their zv6000 series (the zv5000 had P4 and Athlon versions).

Collapse -
starting point
by linkit / September 17, 2005 9:25 AM PDT

These days, I'd start with the following as a MINIMUM:

1. Intel Centrino Technology
2. Processor: Intel Pentuim M 730 (1.6GHz)
3. 512MB system RAM

That will give you a good core for power, battery life, and longevity. Go up from there if you need more or can afford it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!