Desktops forum

General discussion

Looking for new computer to play SIms 3- need help!!

by babu357 / February 5, 2010 11:48 AM PST

I am looking for a new computer. I have close to $700.00 to spend.
I have read the specs for sims 3 but for one,I want to make sure it has more than the basics. Since adding Custom Content and expansion packs will slow things down.
The computer I had fits the specs but If I added a bunch of CC's ( not even a quarter of what I used to have on SIms 2 )it would slow way down. I dont' want that.
I want a computer that can handle lots of Custom content, since that's half the fun of the Sims is adding custom content..and getting more expansion packs.
Secondly, I have no idea of how to covert those things mentioned in the specs into other products. There are so many names and brands and numbers of processors and graphics cards, it's just very confusing to know what is equal to what.
I am currently looking at a computer a gamer suggested to me. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the specs sound good for Sims 3..I also want to run "Daz" on it..if any of you are familiar with that.it's not a game but a 3d graphics program..
Anyways I guess, mainly concentrate on the Sims 3 if you dont' know of the other. Whatever works for Sims 3 should work for that as well.

Please let me know if the computer below is good for SIms 3 or if you have any other suggestions. !!
thanks,
Babu
here's the specs of the computer I'm considering:

iBUYPOWER
Model Gamer Power 535SLC
Recommended Usage Gaming
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620(2.6GHz)
Processor Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Cache Per Processor 2MB L2 Cache
Memory 4GB DDR3 1600
Hard Drive 500GB SATA II
Optical Drive 1 24X DL DVD+/-RW Drive
Graphics ATI Radeon HD5670 1GB
Audio Sound card - Integrated
Ethernet 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet
Power Supply 480W
Keyboard iBUYPOWER USB Deluxe Keyboard
Mouse iBUYPOWER USB Mouse
Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Special Features CX-5B59 Gaming Tower

iBUYPOWER Gaming Liquid Cooling-Overclock Ready
Motherboard
Chipset AMD 770
CPU
CPU Type Athlon II X4
Installed Qty 1
CPU Speed 620(2.6GHz)
L2 Cache Per CPU 2MB
CPU Socket Type AM3
CPU Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Graphics
GPU/VPU Type ATI Radeon HD 5670
Graphics Interface PCI Express 2.0 x16
Memory
Memory Capacity 4GB DDR3
Memory Speed DDR3 1600
Form Factor DIMM 240-pin
Memory Spec 2GB x 2
Memory Slot (Total) 4
Memory Slot (Available) 2
Maximum Memory Supported 16GB
Hard Drive
HDD Capacity 500GB
HDD Interface SATA II
Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for new computer to play SIms 3- need help!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for new computer to play SIms 3- need help!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm concerned.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2010 11:56 AM PST

"Parts 90 days limited" is a terrible warranty.

But my wife's machine loads Sims 3 slowly but plays just fine. It's a lowly Celeron 2+GHz with 2GB RAM and some PCIe ATI HD 2400 card.

Your machine exceeds that in many ways. I doubt Sims 3 will be an issue.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by babu357 / February 5, 2010 12:39 PM PST
In reply to: I'm concerned.

thanks for your input. Yeah not crazy bout the warranty..I thought maybe they had some kind of plan that you could buy to extend that warranty but I'm not sure..although I have had long ones before and then my machine would go like a month after the warranty was over..oh well, anyway thanks for your opinion.

Collapse -
depending on your PC skills...
by Brechan / February 5, 2010 10:06 PM PST
In reply to: thanks

You did not state in your original post the current specs for your computer; depending on your PC skills (and the age of your computer), for $700 you could upgrade the individual components inside it, and get extended warranties on each component (the manufacturer warranties are usually pretty good).

Collapse -
no upgrade
by babu357 / February 6, 2010 2:35 AM PST

thanks but I'm not interested in upgrading. I have already upgraded once and I really don't want to go through that again...besides the computer's getting pretty old and it's not really up to being upgraded anymore than it already is.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?