Tablets forum

Question

Looking for my first tablet, any suggestions?

by Theodrick / January 28, 2014 4:49 AM PST

I'm new to the tablet world. a rundown of what im looking for.

1. What is your budget?
600 and below
2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
I pad, or an tablet with detachable keyboard
4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

5 to7-inches
7.1 to 10 - inches 9+
10 to 13 - inches yes
Above 13 - inches yes

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
USA, or any if shipping is reasonable
6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
I'm comfortable with Android, but have no preference
7. How many hours battery life do you require?
6- more
8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
Email, Web surfing, Bible reading in Church, playing violin with sheet music. Note taking while in Church, or in violin lessons.
9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
Google services, I have a windows desktop.
10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
I would really like to read the bible on one side of the screen and take notes either in the Bible, or on the other side of the screen, same goes for my violin lessons. Would like to be able to read sheet music on screen.
11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. Rarely.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
Yes, I would like ideas on how to put the information on my flat-screen, which is not wireless.
Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? Readable.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun? Yes that would be a plus.
See the above linked FAQ for guidance

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig? Yes a pen would be a big improvement over a stylus
See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? Internal memory the most I can get, also would be nice to have an expanded SD card function.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs? One to two USB would be helpful, hdmi also helpfull

Misc
1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?not at the moment thanks

Basically I do a lot of reading and note taking, also I would like to read books on this tablet, it would also benefit if I could use this tablet as a gps while driving, tethered through my cellphone. Bluetooth would be a big plus.

I just have no idea where to look, as this is my very first tablet.

Thanks everyone!
Theo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for my first tablet, any suggestions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for my first tablet, any suggestions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
While my first thought is the Samsung Note with S-Pen
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2014 5:04 AM PST

The " playing violin with sheet music " is a concern as is there sheet music and an app for that?

The second concern is my neighbor got a Samsung Tab 7 and returned it after 3 days because it could not be used without registering the tablet. Samsung apparently has issues on and off with their web services and can't seem to get that returns will happen when they goof like that.

While it's pretty close you have some work to find that app and then ask if you can return it if Samsung's services go down. I would not buy a Samsung today if I could not return it inside the WARRANTY period. Tying the product to Samsung's registration and other services so tightly was a bad decision in my opinion. Nice product, flawed execution.
Bob

Collapse -
Re:
by Theodrick / January 28, 2014 5:34 AM PST

Yes, there is sheet music apps, in the play market.so android would be nice, im not sure about the apple market, as i don't own an apple. I really appreciate your reply.

I currently have a Samsung galaxy s3, what do you mean Samsung services going down? I'm a bit confused.

Thanks

Collapse -
Services such as
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2014 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: Re:

Their registration system and over in the Samsung forum you see they had some issue with their other services.

Tying the product so tightly to Samsung services is a flaw in my opinion. Nice tablet, however.
Bob

Collapse -
Re:
by Theodrick / January 28, 2014 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: Services such as

I'm having a look on newegg, and I'm having a hard time finding the Samsung tablets with pen as you have suggested. could you give me a few links to some, to see what you were talking about please.

Thanks

Collapse -
At BB.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2014 6:56 AM PST
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-refurbished-galaxy-note-10-1-tablet-with-16gb-memory-deep-gray/7479188.p?id=1218847153050&skuId=7479188&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7479188&extensionType={adtype}:{network}&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!{keyword}!{matchtype}!{adwords_producttargetid}!{network}!{ifmobile:M}!{creative}&kpid=7479188&k_clickid=19a59649-ba17-dca9-4b72-00004cdd25dc

CNET review at http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/samsung-galaxy-note-10/4505-3126_7-35147489.html
Other outlets are on the right side of the page.

Again, lots to like but Samsung's services give me pause. However if you can get it in writing you can return if Samsung screws up on the Web services, I'd like this one for the reason of your note taking with the pen.
Bob
Collapse -
PS. What I'm shopping for. Asus T100
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2014 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: At BB.
Collapse -
Re:
by Theodrick / January 28, 2014 9:31 AM PST

i also need gps functionality, wifi tethered through my cellphone.

Collapse -
The office's Gen 1 Nexus 7 has GPS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2014 11:49 PM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!