General discussion

Looking for my 1st Notebook!?

I'm looking for a new(1st)laptop and was torn between the Sony FS570 & the Toshiba M45-351 till I ran across ABS-PCs' Mayhem G3. It seemed INCREDIBLE, and other obscure forums says the same, but wasn't sure about the credibility of the company. Anyone know more about this than whats on ABS' website??

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Looking for my 1st Notebook!?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Looking for my 1st Notebook!?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You listed..

3 makes I would not buy. Sony's service is non-existant, Toshiba needs a few months to work any static issues out and the no-names tend to have no spare parts for when you need something in a year or 2.

Bob

- Collapse -
R. Proffitt

Who do you feel is a good company to go with then??

- Collapse -
The ones that have service centers and spare parts...

In the country you live in.

Bob

PS. The office has Dell, Toshiba, some IBMs that won't die and a few others.

- Collapse -
R Proffitt - Heres some more insight on that ABS notebook

what do you think? Also your senior editor Justin Jaffe has a video posted that states he likes it "8.4". Not bad I thought. The insight I'm referring to is off Tomshardware.

http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20041228/index.html

"I thought that this was pretty helpful".

To be fair though, the moderators on ABSs' forums say that you can't compare the G3 vs. those others, but it doesn't do to bad. to compare would have to be the G5 series.

- Collapse -
Only 1 year warranty available

That tells you something. Are they planning to be here in a year?

But other than that, it looks like an Asus notebook, which could mean it has a fairly good part support system.

What I like about them is the "1499" quoted price is the price of a system someone might actually want. I hate Compaq for that. They say the computer starts at 1049 but that's without a warranty, and with the absolute lowest configuration possible. On some models that means a non-wide LCD screen and a Celeron . . . and no wireless option in a CENTRINO laptop. That's really not nice. Here at least they're honest. I liked the G2.

- Collapse -
Can't touch this.

I write from the bitter position of too many people who have brought me these no-names with small parts failures such as "a keyboard", "a BIOS chip" or other item that is clearly replaceable by any technician but the laptop maker didn't stock any spares.

If you want a 1-year laptop, then go for it. Most want parts and service for 3 years.

Bob

- Collapse -
ABS Laptops

This may help. I copied this from the website. " All ABS computers are covered by an unmatched no-questions-asked 30-day return policy".

I copied this as well..
"ABS, in partnership with 2Net, offers up to 3 Years of on-site technical support in all states except for Texas". Oh well, I don't live in TX anyway. I actually got it as of yesterday and paid 1599.00. from NewEgg.com. They had an offer I couldn't refuse.

check this out!!!

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Display: 15.4" WXGA 1280x800 TFT
Memory: 1GB DDR400
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB
HD: 80GB/5400rpm
Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW Drive
Ports: 3 x USB 2.0, 1 x 1394a, RJ-11, RJ-45, IR, DC input, VGA Monitor Support, Audio, Mini PCI (type IIIb), S-Video, LPT
Dimensions: 14.1"x10.6"x1.44"(WxDxH)
Weight: 7.7lbs

I can't find any downfalls!? can you?

- Collapse -
Lies.

You can read the same for the others as well. REALITY is that in year 2 to 3, your laptop may become a brick as you discover they don't carry spares.

There are discussions is noted in this forum over and over about this issue.

If you don't heed such warnings, you get to repeat history.

Again, I wish you the best of luck with this.

Bob

- Collapse -
Don't buy Alienware

Don't buy Alienware (not sure if you are looking at them) - but wanted to warn you away.

- Collapse -
No Alienware...

There are some scary stories. I've heard almost nothing good about them. All they seem to have is the cool name.

The company that I'm taking about is called ABS-PC. I've heard almost nothing but positive things about them. ABS "Always Better Service" I know its cheesy, but they seem to have great reviews and great products. Just a nice diamond in the rough...

CNET Forums

Forum Info