PC Applications forum

General discussion

Looking for mailing list software that does couples...

by shore_pk / September 11, 2006 3:00 AM PDT

I am looking for software to track family and friends' addresses, birthdays, phone #'s etc. I need it to print address labels and envelopes. I want something for $20 or less if possible.

I have found a lot of different ones but they all have a common problem...they don't allow you to have couples just individuals. I want to be able to input Joe Smith and all of his information and Sarah Smith and all of her information but when I print labels or envelopes I want them addresses as "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" not 2 different labels/envelopes. I have downloaded at least 10 different trials from various sites and none of them do this, unless I am confused about how to use them???!!??

It seems like this would be a standard option on mailing list/address book type software but I haven't found but one program that does this and it is way more $ than I want to spend. I only have a 100-200 addresses to put in and I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Also, I would like to be able to group people so that I can send just certain ones Christmas cards or other groupings. Most of the programs seem to do this.

I thought maybe someone on this forum may have a suggestion or know of something.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for mailing list software that does couples...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for mailing list software that does couples...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: mailing list software
by Kees Bakker / September 11, 2006 6:02 AM PDT

Shore_pk,

Personally, I would do this in Excel and use mail-merge in Word to print labels and envelopes. For the Smith family you need 3 records: 1 for Joe, 1 for Sarah and 1 for 'Mr and Mrs.'. Then add some columns with the properties like 'print on label' only filled with the last one (and non-couples, of course). As many columns as you want groupings.

Word and Excel aren't free. Maybe free OpenOffice's Write and Calc have comparable options. The essential requirements: mail merge from spreadsheet with selection on values in a certain column. In http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6129-0.html?forumID=29&threadID=204209&messageID=2185512 ChuckT tells that the Word/Excel combination should surely work.

I you do have Word it might be possible to use Calc to fill a spreadsheet and use that as a database, 'mixed' configuration, so to say. I don't know, however, if Word can read a spreadsheet if you don't have Excel. But there might a format 'spoken' by Calc and 'understood' by Word. That's worth a try.

Kees

Collapse -
I don't have Word or Excel...nt
by shore_pk / September 11, 2006 8:02 AM PDT

nt

Collapse -
Then it might be worthwhile ...
by Kees Bakker / September 11, 2006 5:32 PM PDT

to download OpenOffice. Even if ACT as recommended below is the perfect solution for this one need, you might like to have a free office suite (word processor, spreadsheet, presentations) for other purposes.

Kees

Collapse -
Question about OpenOffice
by shore_pk / September 11, 2006 10:26 PM PDT

Does it read files we have from Works? I have a lot done in Works but I really dislike Works and didn't know about OpenOffice but am going to check into it.

Thanks,

Linda

Collapse -
Re: Works and Open office
by Kees Bakker / September 11, 2006 10:54 PM PDT

Linda,

I doubt if Write will read Works files. Even Microsofts own Word has some problems with them. It's not a really mainstream product.
But you might be able to save your documents in .rtf-format, for example, and then open them in OpenOffice again.

Worth a try, I'd say, especially if you dislike Works.

Good luck,

Kees

Collapse -
Software for mailing couples.
by dromel / September 11, 2006 1:11 PM PDT

The software that is specifically designed to perform this procedure (and many more) is ACT!
You can buy the older (LEGAL) copies of this program in either Version 6, or even Version 7, on E-Bay for $20 to $25 delivered.
I have been using this program in my practice since DOS Ver 1.2 circa 1988. I highly recommend it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!