Question

Looking for laptop for broadcasting

My daughter graduates next year and wanted to get her a laptop for Christmas that she can use for college, her major is broadcasting....I want it to be a good one and hopfully under 2000.00 dollars, any ideas

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Looking for laptop for broadcasting
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Looking for laptop for broadcasting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
What are the requirements ...

mentioned by the college?

And what are her own requirements on, for example, screen size and weight?

Kees

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
What will she do with it?

I'm a retired radio broadcaster, and I used computers during my working years -- but mostly for "office" work, writing commercial scripts and specialized broadcast-specific apps where the computer was an integral part of the station's broadcast equipment. Will your daughter use her laptop on the job, and if so, what will she do with it? For that matter, what kind of broadcast job is she looking for?

Regardless of what she does, I recommend you/she strike a balance between long battery life and light weight, then get as much RAM (4GB is usually the maximum available on a notebook) and as large a hard drive as you can afford. A big screen isn't as important as portability if she will be a reporter or sales rep; a good keyboard is essential if she writes news or commercial copy, but for that I prefer a desktop-style USB keyboard anyway. If she works nights and weekends as a deejay, get her a laptop with a fast processor and great graphics, because she'll probably play games to pass the time. Happy

- Collapse -
Answer
Ask the school.

But a nod to that about 1100 buck MacBook Pro. Very nice.
Bob

CNET Forums