Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Looking for I-Pod alternatives for I-Tunes

by mikedgolf40505 / June 16, 2008 3:45 AM PDT

I saw the article with 5 or 6 alternatives to the I-Pod here on CNET and was wondering a couple of things. First how can I tell if a MP3 player is I-Tunes compatible? Second can anyone tell me where to find a larger list with compatible players?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for I-Pod alternatives for I-Tunes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for I-Pod alternatives for I-Tunes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
how can I tell if a MP3 player is I-Tunes compatible?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2008 3:49 AM PDT

It's made by Apple. There was one cell phone but I doubt you'll find that one.

So the list is easy to find.

Collapse -
Oakley Split Thump
by ktreb / June 16, 2008 12:49 PM PDT

I've heard through MP3 Insider podcast and the CNET review that the Oakley Split Thump is recognized as a device on iTunes. However, it is only for drag and drop. And if you were planning on buying from the iTunes store anything that wasn't an iTunes Plus (drm-free) song would not be playable. But why would you do that when you have Amazon.com's mp3 downloads, if you are in the United States. In case you were wondering, the Oakley Thump is an expensive ($250+ retail) small capacity mp3 player integrated into a pair of sunglasses. Probably not what you were looking for.

http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/oakley-split-thump-1gb/4505-6490_7-32740047.html?tag=prod.txt.2

Other than that, all you got is the iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano, iPod Classic, iPod Touch, and the iPhone.

Collapse -
iTunes the software or iTunes the store?
by Jasmineflower / June 18, 2008 2:15 AM PDT

It makes a difference. Only iPods and the not-so-dearly-departed Moto Slvr L7 work with songs purchased from the iTunes store. However, if you just want to use the software portion to manage and transfer music, you can get it to work with any MP3 player. Just download and install BadApple: http://www.badfruit.com/.

Collapse -
cool
by JonTitor / June 18, 2008 8:51 AM PDT

I was just gonna recommend switching to MediaMonkey and an Apple skin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.