Computer Help forum

Question

Looking for help to pick out a laptop

by squeakaroni / February 20, 2015 9:35 AM PST

Hi all! I have a Dell Latitude D531 that is about to die out on me, it's got an overheating problem and some usb ports are loose and not working and half of my keyboard keys are dead. LOL

So I'm looking for a laptop on a limited budget, I want to spend approx. $200, $30 under or over is fine. I like to play games and watch movies. I know $200 won't get me far but surely I can find something at least a smidge better for what I do for that price right? I mean my D531 came out forever ago lol. Anyway I hope I get a response I'll be watching closely I'm excited about getting a new laptop

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for help to pick out a laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for help to pick out a laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
How about the #1 on Amazon's list?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 9:53 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Suggestion
by hildegardgruener / February 20, 2015 1:44 PM PST

You can get a second hand laptop within this bracket but if you want to have a new one, you need to increase your range to make some hardcore uses of it like playing games and watching movies.

Either, you can go for chromebooks. However, chromebook do have certain limitations which usually laptops dont have.
Chromebook are usually good for users who loves to use google chrome as their default web browser and already do lots of work on cloud.

Collapse -
Answer
How to choose the best laptop in your price range
by GaRepairLondon / February 20, 2015 8:26 PM PST

Hello,

I wrote an article about choosing the best laptop in your price range, click to see. That could help with what laptop and performance specifics you are looking for.

However, your budget is kinda tight to buy a new one which is suitable for gaming too.

Have you looked on eBay? Here's a search for laptops under £200 (that's only a bit more than $200).
Saved eBay Search, click to see.

They might have some more refurbished or second-hand laptops on offer.
Check them out.

Collapse -
Answer
this might help
by karlkarrlander / February 21, 2015 9:34 AM PST

This article from Lifehacker might help you determine what kind of laptop you need: How to pick a laptop

If you want hardware specifics on laptops then Tomshardware is the place to go.

There is even a guide here on Cnet that helps you buy the right laptop: Laptop buying guide

Hope this helps, though my personal advice is to go over what you plan to do with the laptop and how fast you want it to go. Determine if it's for gaming purposes or average use. This will make a difference in the laptops you'll be looking at.

Anyway, happy hunting!

P.S: To moderators, I'm posting these links to help OP. They have no correlation with me or my business. Thank you!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.