Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

looking for good computer for SIms 3

by babu357 / February 14, 2010 8:23 AM PST

Hi I'm looking for advice on a PC for playing Sims 3. I have a budget of up to $700.00 I might be able to squeeze out a little more but not much.
I've found some pcs around that price that seem good, but when It comes to graphics cards they just aren't good enough.
What I'd like to do is get a good system. Something that has a dual core processor, 4 gigs of RAM, a decent size hard drive(this is the least important sine I can later get an external hard drive and add more space)
and I want a really good card. Something that I won't have problems with at high settings.
Of course I don't know if this is possible at my budget. But I thought maybe I can get a good fast computer that is under 700.00 and then later buy and install a better card myself.
Does anyone have any advice on systems that are best for doing this.
ALso I know the SIms 3 specs, but they just but that's just the minimal requirements to play the game. My current computer meets the specs and plays it.. but not well. Plus when you add custom content and expansion packs you're gonna need more. So, I've asked around and the things I stated, the dual core, 4 gigs of memory, have been suggested by a lot of people as necessary.
thanks
Sue

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: looking for good computer for SIms 3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: looking for good computer for SIms 3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wanted to add this
by babu357 / February 14, 2010 8:33 AM PST

Sorry I left out something and I couldn't find a way to edit my last post so let me just add.
I mentioned needing 4 gigs of RAM. What I meant was I wanted at least 2 gigs of RAM with the ability to install up to 4 gigs.
Sue

Collapse -
This is what I set up my son with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2010 8:44 AM PST
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TS-0005D-C2Q623-R&cat=SYS (we got the other model for 379 but these come and go.)

But I'd skip that and look at the 6GB model at http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CM5570-R&cat=SYS if you don't want to install the OS.

My kid had an older machine so we used that machine's XP OS Retail license and I have 2 Windows 7 licenses left (we bought the 7 Home 3 pack for 149)

Let's total it up.

The Quad Core PC at 379.
The 7 Home license at 50.
A better GPU for 80 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SG7LUQ/ref=oss_product )

We are at 509 and have a nice quad core machine for 509. It's also quieter than his old machine.
Bob
Collapse -
thanks
by babu357 / February 14, 2010 12:51 PM PST

thanks for the quick reply. I'm gonna go look at these now..thanks again..I might be back with questions.;)
Sue

Collapse -
hi
by justindira / February 15, 2010 6:17 PM PST

What I can tell you is that the ATI 4850 Graphics card is a good card your money. Go Intel if you can afford it. What is your budget for this pc?
or
I have a brand new ambx Premium kit - Never used- still in the box.

It's a gift for my birthday but I'm not a gamer . I d'ont use it and I try to find someone who can buy it.

I live in Montreal and I can ship the box with Purolator at a good price .

I will sell it at a really good price.

Please let me know.

Collapse -
The Sims 3 System Requirements,
by outgoinGSuck / February 17, 2010 2:49 PM PST

Desktop PC (Windows XP + SP2):
CPU: 2ghz Pentium4 Processor or Amd Athlon 2000+ Processor
RAM: 1 GB of RAM
GPU: 128mb Video Card (GeForce FX 5900 or Radeon 9500)

Desktop PC (Windows Vista + SP1):
CPU: 2ghz Pentium4 Processor or Amd Athlon 2400+ Processor
RAM: 1.5 GB of RAM
GPU: 128mb Video Card (GeForce FX 5900 or Radeon 9500)

Laptop (Windows XP + SP2):
CPU: 2ghz Pentium4 Processor or Amd Athlon 2000+ Processor
RAM: 1.5 GB of RAM
GPU: 128mb Video Card (GeForce Go 6200 or Radeon 9600)

Laptop (Windows Vista + SP1):
CPU: 2ghz Pentium4 Processor or Amd Athlon 2400+ Processor
RAM: 2 GB of RAM
GPU: 128mb Video Card (GeForce Go 6200 or Radeon 9600)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.