General discussion

Looking for E-Commerce Website for Clothing Company

Hello everyone, this is my first post and did some looking around on the forums and all who post here seem to be pretty helpful. Maybe ya'll can help me out a little bit.

I'm starting a children's clothing line, we only have 8 shirts right now, 2 colors for each design. It's not much at the moment, however we're hoping to expand our inventory when business picks up.

The website won't just be for clothing sales, but will also include an ongoing monthly comic, and a monthly short animation of the characters featured on the clothing line. There will also be miscellaneous items like stickers, folders, hats and so on. Not very much inventory, perhaps less than 500 items.

I'm going to start out with HTML design, but would like to move on to flash later on. Of course I'll need a shopping cart, with google checkout, paypal and credit card transactions.

The problem I'm running into is I can't find a website with all I'm looking for and editable html/flash.

Does anyone have any suggestions for e-commerce hosting? I can supply some more information on the site if needed.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Looking for E-Commerce Website for Clothing Company
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Looking for E-Commerce Website for Clothing Company
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just sharing.

Just sharing a story about a company that I and others have consulted is still offline after 4 years. I and others noted Godaddy years ago as an instant solution but they had some internal staff that claimed they would write it themselves. Now at 6 figures in they are still without a site and not one sale made.

Ask yourself if you are selling web sites or your product.

Bob

- Collapse -
So ..

So ..are you saying GoDaddy is a good place to start?

I checked out GoDaddy, and it by far seems to have the best deal as far as having a shopping cart, you can modify your website with your own images, and I believe you can use HTML on there to basically do as you would like with the site.

And of course I would be selling my product, are you saying that I should focus more on my t-shirts and less on the other features? I guess that would make sense, but the animations, comics and games do kind of tie into the sales of shirts. But I see what you're saying.

- Collapse -
I could make a bet you could...

Get your commerce site running in a day with godaddy. There are others like it (sorry but I keep returning to them.) Armed with your camera, computer, godaddy and not much cash (yes I know it's all relative) you should be live fast.

I know its tempting to "learn html" and more but "the goal" is usually the better idea. Yes I think you understand this.

Bob

- Collapse -
Does ..

Oh yeah I understand, I actually have someone to put the site together for me with the HTML and everything. So that's not really a problem, I wanted the ability to change the website for that reason.

If GoDaddy can let me do that then I'm all over it, also I was wondering if you can use their quickcart on one of their regular websites? That would be a great combo for me.

- Collapse -
AFAIK

I don't maintain web sites anymore. I've found it to be rather thankless work nowadays.

Bob

- Collapse -
Clothing line web-site

I am also looking for a way to effectively present my clothing line on a website that will allow me to use html freely, as well as be a secure site allowing customers to purchase through various forms of payment. I looked at godaddy as well with it being one of the more reputable sites that have these services. There is a list of the top ten web hosting sites here on cnet and godaddy is ranked 7th, there is another site called host monster which is ranked 1. I currently have a site using www.1&1.com and it is pretty good but if you have technical issues they are horrible with getting them fixed so I don't want to stay with them. Good luck on your site, you can view mine at www.designerunknown.net but I will be changing it very soon.

- Collapse -
Re: Looking for E-Commerce Website for Clothing Company

If you need an e-commerce site to sale some products you would better to have a look at the WebDesigner of www.hchightech.com and try to build up an e-commerce site by yourself with that tool. There is no any programming and database knowledge required to you, and it's free until you satisfy with the design and ask to get the completed install package. Look at their sample site to get some idea.

- Collapse -
ecommerce website suggestion

Here is a suggestion. Take a look www.fastcommerce.com. It's a low-cost and high-powered ecommerce platform with lots of fantastic features. You may creat an ideal ecommerce website there. Search engine optimized product catalog. Beautiful templates, great back office tools, no set up costs, and no contract. Easy to Use!!!

- Collapse -
Miva Merchant ecommerce

i've got a similar question. i would like to move to a more flexible content management system like Joomla. anyone know if there is a shopping cart module that has already been developed that can integrate with Joomla?

Here's the site that I want to convert to a new cart technology.

http://www.justjen.com/shop/custom-tshirts.htm

The customized t shirt page is a good example of the type of product configurations I need to be able to run with the shopping cart.

- Collapse -
Virtuemart and Magento

Try Virtuemart for a Joomla integrated shopping cart at http://virtuemart.net/

If you want a more robust open source one, I suggest Magento.com
Try it its free.

I have both carts running on my Netfirms.com hosting accounts.

- Collapse -
www.magentocommerce.com

CNET Forums

Forum Info