TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

looking for dual use LCD monitor.

by grimgraphix / September 10, 2005 4:00 AM PDT

I posted this over on the mac hardware forum but would appreciate all your advice as well. Even though I sold TVs for a long time I was always more of a sound guy and I've definitely lost touch with all the product on the market. anyway here's the post...

I'm shopping around for a monitor today... One that is perfect and is almost free would fit the bill but I realize thats unrealistic so any recommendations for the next best thing ? I'll be switching it between my iBook and a win box. I will be using it to review and work with photographs. It's going in the bedroom office so an analog TV connection would be nice but not imperative - picture resolution is more important. Oh... and it needs to let the dogs out in the middle of the night. I want something for $300.00 or less. I found one Magnavox that meets the criteria but not thrilled by that brand.

No... I'm not drinking right now... it's still 15 minutes of noon.

I'm looking myself but if anyone has recently found a great value that they could clue me into I would be truly grateful.

thanks,
grim

BTW... it's now 2:00 EST and with college football on I now DO have a beer in my hand.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: looking for dual use LCD monitor.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: looking for dual use LCD monitor.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BTW...
by grimgraphix / September 10, 2005 4:24 AM PDT

Magnavox 15MF605T/17 15 LCD TV is what I saw on Sam's Club web site for $299.00.

What I want to know is it a waste of time since I'm more concerned about computer use or is it a decent value "for the money".

grim

Collapse -
Yes
by tylerpestell / September 12, 2005 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: BTW...

You are wasting your money ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824163129

Hope the link works ... should
But basically for photos etc. 19in all the way ... I have a dual monitor setup a 15in and 19in lcd. There is just no comparison when it comes down to it. I would just say get the 19in I linked to and then just get a KVM switch so you can hook both computers to it. If you wanted a 3 way switch you could hook up TV also ... sort of a round about way that should work ... I don't know if there is a more direct solution but assuming you have Cable you need a VCR for channel selection etc. then to composite video .. and just have a composite to VGA to hook into the KVM switch ... like I said I don't know if there is a better way other than paying 299$ for a mere 15in lcd ... ugh. Also you might not need a KVM switch ... that is so you can use a Keyboard Video Mouse with different computers ... sounds like you only want a Video switch ... hell I could build one of those. Just think it over ... though I did spend 350$ on my 15in LCD that was 3 years ago ... and spent 230$ recently on my 19in LCD.

Collapse -
The switch
by tylerpestell / September 12, 2005 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.