Laptops forum

General discussion

Looking for correct cable...

by trentacee / March 2, 2006 10:19 PM PST

I am looking to purchase a cable that will connect my Hewlett Packard 1100 laser jet printer to my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. I have called Hewlett Packard, twice, and they are unable to give me the answer (yes, I even called their parts dept.).
I'm wondering if anyone might have an idea of where I could get the answer to this.
Note:I went to the local Comp. USA with this question, and they sold me the wrong one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
hilma

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for correct cable...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for correct cable...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does your laptop have a PARALLEL PORT?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 12:46 AM PST

If not, that's the issue. No cable is made that will connect the two.

If you don't have the required parallel port, you have to find one of those USB to PARALLEL port adapters and fight it out with drivers.

No one will tell you this for free it seems.

Bob

Collapse -
Looking for correct cable
by trentacee / March 3, 2006 12:52 AM PST

Hello Bob, Thank you for the speedy reply..

Yes, my Inspiron laptop does have a parallel port on the back.

Hilma

Collapse -
Then it takes the usual IEEE 1284 cable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 1:11 AM PST

Unless you told me the wrong printer, that's all it takes. 25 pin connector to the PC/Laptop and the Centronics 36 pin on the other.

If it doesn't work then the issue is elsewhere.

Bob

Collapse -
Looking for Cable
by trentacee / March 3, 2006 5:06 AM PST

Hello again, I'm sorry, I gave you the wrong answer to your question. My Inspiron has a USB port. My son pointed this out to me. He also says that the HP has something that looks like a "funky" connection. He said it may be called a "serial" port, but he's not sure.

Hilma

Collapse -
Looking for Cable
by trentacee / March 3, 2006 5:45 AM PST

Bob, I'm sorry, my son pointed out that I don't have a parallel port, I have a USB port. He also says the HP has a "funky" looking connection for a cable. He says it may be called a serial port, but he's not sure.

sorry again...

Hilma

Collapse -
Then there is no "cable". This requires an adapter.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 8:14 AM PST
In reply to: Looking for Cable
Collapse -
Looking for correct cable
by trentacee / March 3, 2006 9:14 AM PST

Many, many thanks for your help. I followed your link and the part that connects to the printer looks exactly like the picture. Still, I have emailed cust.service to see if this will work for me.If the answer is positive, I will order it.

BTW, My ''computer whiz'' son told me to give up on this because the product does not exist.

Regards,
Hilma

Collapse -
Sorry to read such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2006 11:08 AM PST

Sorry to see you miss out on this solution and here's hoping your emails get answers.

"the product does not exist." Since I own such an adapter, I can write that while a "cable" does not exist, the adapter does.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Looking for correct Cable (Adapter)
by trentacee / March 4, 2006 9:13 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry to read such.

Hi Bob, Just want to tell you about my efforts to find the correct connection at "Comp USA", yesterday, with the thought that this might help someone else in the future.

First, I sent email to the manufacturer & supplier of adapters Fri. evening, following the link you provided. I provided them with the info. on the HP and my Inspiron. I'm hoping to hear from someone tomorrow.

In the meantime, I decided to take both the printer and the laptop to the help desk of my local Comp USA last evening. I had looked at their website, and it seemed they might have what I needed. Wrong.....
They were totally clueless. They took a look at HP and said there was no "cable" made to connect the two. I suggested it might need an "adapter" instead. They said there was no such "adapter" and told me to call HP for help. I told them I had done this, twice, with no luck. The Comp USA people said this was because the product did not exist.
I told them I thought the printer had a serial port, and they replied "Oh, that's what that is? We can't help you with that." And..these are the people at the Comp USA Help Desk????

As I said, I just wanted to post this in case it could
eliminate major agrevation for someone else who is thinking of going to Comp USA for "help".

Hilma

Collapse -
Please help me understand something.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2006 9:48 PM PST

I own such an adapter. I provided a link to one and there are more at newegg.com and ... you continue to ask the ones that have no clue.

Why ask here?

Bob

Collapse -
Looking for Adapter
by trentacee / March 4, 2006 10:16 PM PST

Yes, I agree it was a totally useless and frustrating exercise, but I was hoping to simply be able to buy one at the local computer store.

I should explain to you that I have two of these HP printers, and I love them. Both are connected to older desktops. I purchased a new HP Laser Jet (1320) which will arrive tomorrow. It will connect to my new laptop & my old desktop in my office(I checked this out with HP before purchasing it). There is nothing wrong with either of my old HP's, but they only produce 8 ppm and the new one is 22 ppm. I know, I am way too connected to my office equipment....

I will wait now for a reponse to my emails.

Hilma

Collapse -
One last comment...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2006 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: Looking for Adapter

While the 22 page per minute is faster, for a single sheet printout, the number of seconds to get that sheet out is somethings much closer than you expect.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?