Laptops forum

Question

Looking for college gaming laptop

by B3rs3k3r / July 28, 2013 8:35 AM PDT

Hello there,
I've been looking for some college laptop for solid while by now, I've managed to cut it to Lenovo Y series. However, should you have a better idea, I'd be happy to hear the advice.

I'm not looking for purely gaming rig, I need also certain degree of mobility. That's why I'd like to stick with the 15,6' inch models. I've been most 'attracted' towards Y580, but it seems that updated version (Haswell and GTX760m) is nowhere close to release. If I understand it right, it's been more-or-less replaced by Y500 or Y510p respectively.

Y510p looks very promising, I'm just a bit of a skeptic when it comes to SLi - battery heavy, hot, possible compatibility issues (rarer than in the past, but still). Also Optimus was a nice addition in Y580 that Y500 and Y 510p lack.

I do not consider buying Y500 much, as I'd definitely prefer the updated Y510 for not so high extra charge. I will need it to be a bit mobile as mentioned - I understand that I can't expect perfect mobility from gaming/multimedia laptop, but maybe updated harware will help a little (I know Haswell will, but I also know that Y510 has reduced battery when compared to Y500, so in the end, I do not know :-)).

So far the Y510p looks like the best choice. I wonder if somebody has any experience with that model - battery life in practice, durability and so on. Or, that would be best, if there's any info about Y580's updated version? I could not find anything and I fear the worst.

Or should you recommend a completely different brand, I would be interested in checking out that, too. Budget is somewhere arround the price of Y510, which is approx. 1300$ I believe.

Thanks for all the info Happy !

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for college gaming laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for college gaming laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That unit is shipping here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2013 9:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Battery? Nothing new here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2013 9:08 AM PDT

Gaming takes a lot more power. So much that if a member asks about battery time on a gaming laptop they might have lost sight that we don't have low power PC gaming yet.
Bob

Collapse -
Sight's perfectly fine
by B3rs3k3r / July 28, 2013 9:31 AM PDT

I am not looking for low power PC gaming. I do not hope to play my way through six hours long train ride, not at all and nothing like that.

What I am interested in, is battery life in 2D (sorry if this was not implicitly obvious) - as I've mentioned that I'd be happy for Optimus. It's 3hrs on paper, I was interested in more 'hands-on battery life'.

Thus I do not hope to work for 10hrs without looking for the socket, but I was interested how would such PC fare. Haswell was main reason for me to be interested in this, as power-saving was one of the most proclaimed improvements. Again, battery - 2D - Office, WLAN probably on and such. Not a Crysis 3. Thanks for understanding.

I was looking into the model with 2 GPUs - one to the Ultrabay. It can be purchased individually, but if I'd go for this one, I'd take two at the beginning.

Collapse -
Good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2013 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Sight's perfectly fine

Now let's hear what met your specs since a lot of folk will like you if you found this.
Bob

Collapse -
Maybe I've overestimated possible advice.
by B3rs3k3r / July 29, 2013 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Good.

Clevo W350ST. Barebone. Not available in my country. You can check the specs. Battery life amidst 3 and 4 hours in 2D.

I am really not sure whether this is common procedure. As you can see, with Haswell and Optimus, it is not such a miracle to hit the 3hrs milestone, even for a gaming laptop.

If you are able to help, I'd really appreciate it. If not, what's the point of this? Let's spare time of yours and mine alike. Thanks in both cases, Bob.

Collapse -
I tend to go with what's shipping.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2013 9:06 AM PDT

The model I noted looks like it hit all the marks. And the price. I can't tell what country folk post from so unless they reveal all I note the current hits and hope it's close enough.

For the all day laptop, Apple seems to have it (see top of this forum.)
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
That is one of the best 15.6" gaming machines
by orlbuckeye / July 30, 2013 10:49 PM PDT
Collapse -
Finish
by B3rs3k3r / July 31, 2013 4:55 AM PDT

Yes, I know what SLi stands for, but thank you. One is removable thanks to Ultrabay mechanics. Specs say 4 to 5, but I would not expect anything over 3.

This topic can be locked, as I've already received better tips elsewhere. Thanks.

Collapse -
FIN?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2013 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Finish

What model did you purchase?

Folk love to read that.
Bob

Collapse -
Not global
by B3rs3k3r / July 31, 2013 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: FIN?

None yet, sorry, just moving to a different forum.

Collapse -
GLOBAL. That I understand.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2013 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Not global

As you move to the EU, Aus and other far flung places the models change. I really enjoyed trips to Taipei and made a point to see what was on display at the Acer HQ center there. A few months later we'd have them here!
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.