HolidayBuyer's Guide

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Looking for best mp3 recording unit - need help

by fireharwk / November 15, 2004 12:48 PM PST

Hello,

I'm looking for a present for my mother. She's a teacher in piano, and need sth. to record her music and the lessons she gives.

So I think the best unit would be a mp3 player with recording option, but which one is the best.
I need one that you can record in very good quality by using a microphe or built in microphe (at least 120kbps)

So which one would you advise me. max $300.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for best mp3 recording unit - need help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for best mp3 recording unit - need help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Looking for best mp3 recording unit - need help
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2004 9:07 PM PST

You might look at the Fostek and Marantz digital recorders. Hint: google.com

Bob

Collapse -
by fireharwk / November 16, 2004 5:36 AM PST

thanks for your advise, but the units are very big and expensive; i didnt find anything about fostek, do you now any shops

i am looking for something more cheaper max $300 and smaller, with flash or hard disk, the only thing it needs is that its possible to record in mp3 at least 128kbps

what about the JetAudio units
thank

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 7:04 AM PST

There are Fostek and Marantz units that are smaller than the old reel to reel pro units. Look for Fostex FR-2 - Portable Hard Disk Recorder and the Denon F20R - Compact Flash Card Recorder for examples.

Maybe you didn't mean to ask for the pro type stuff? If not, even the ipod with some Belkin addon will do nicely.

Bob

Collapse -
Mp3 music recorder
by leelersoh / December 22, 2004 2:24 AM PST

I have been doing research on this actually and I have been looking for an MP3 recorder. I was going to get an Ipod 20 Gb or 40 Gb with mic input, however, I looked on the reviews on ipodlounge.com and they were saying that the best quality the ipod can get is 8khz which is only good for voice recording. I am a music student and the quality of voice recording doesn't always cut it. I still like the idea of getting an ipod but I don't think that it can handle music lesson recordings. I am currently looking at the Archos brand and have seen that around with my other friends. The reviews are not alway that great but if you get an extra warranty you should be covered.

If you have found anything different please respond.

Collapse -
H-320
by misterklove / December 22, 2004 7:46 PM PST

iriver H-320

Anywhere between 40 and 128 kbps. Choice is yours. 44kHz. Internal and external mic. Great Great Great quality. records directly to mp3 format. ONLY thing is the price might be little more $300 though, i'm not sure exactly how much. It's around

Collapse -
Have you considered mini disk?
by pberger / December 31, 2004 2:30 AM PST

You might take a look at mini disk. They are less expensive, and handling disks might be easier than organizing files on a hard disk. Disks could be loaned to students.

Collapse -
Looking for best mp3 recording unit - need help
by johngoodman / January 3, 2005 1:09 AM PST

I would second the Iriver H320.
It has excellent recording functionality. Built in and external microphones inc. It is also very configurable; selectable auto gain, bitrate, auto sound detection (pauses /rerstarts if silent). I think the voice recordings are mono, but excellent quality.

Stereo recordings can be made by connecting microphones to an amp and a line in jack to the Iriver. both options records direct to mp3. Also the Iriver has a line out jack so recordings can be played back through the same stereo amp and speakers at good quality.

Other mp3's, Pc's can connect directly to the Iriver(acts as a USB host) so mp3 files can be copied easily

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.