Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Looking for automated CD storage ... Ideas?

by Evie / October 15, 2004 9:49 PM PDT

Being the queen of clutter, and now about to embark on transferring at least 300 VHS movies to DVD adding to our already large CD collection -- not to mention all the software/data CD's -- I would really like to store them in some sort of an automated library. So far my internet searching has found two:

http://www.crazypc.com/products/storage/storage.htm
(a little ways down the page)

http://www.digitallyunique.net/i78138.html

The first of these seems to be more what I'm looking for as apparently there is a more standalone model and you can link two together by USB. Plus, the capacity is twice the number of CD's per unit.

Anyone have either of these, or know of other similar products that you could recommend?

This seems like it might be a bit of a pricey endeavor, but might be worth it compared to the disorganization and not to mention the bulk of CD/DVD cases!

TIA, Evie Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for automated CD storage ... Ideas?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for automated CD storage ... Ideas?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have the carousel
by TONI H / October 16, 2004 4:28 AM PDT

listed at your first link.......the DC101 and have three of them. I use two for music only, and one for movies that are the 'one cd only' type (if two or more cd's then I use regular slim jewel cases with a sticker in the center of the inside of the 'cover' side so that both cd's face each other inside the case and I can fit two cd's per case that way).

As for the carousels......the reason I got the second type (looks like a bubble) is because if something happened to the mechanism, it was/is easy to pull off the cover and retrieve the cd's. Each one is USB, has it's own power supply, holds 150 cd's....and I use them as stand alone units once they are filled up so I can disconnect them from my pc and move them to the rooms where the dvd player is located or the cd player.

I print off the database for each carousel and keep either that nearby or the actual little booklet that they give you that you can write down the contents of each slot for reference.

I love them.........

TONI

Collapse -
Re: I have the carousel
by larry123 / November 10, 2004 3:12 PM PST
In reply to: I have the carousel

Hi Toni.
Just joined the forums. I have been searching for a automated cd storage carousel for a couple of weeks. One that my computer would interface with and cause the carousel to pop out the one I want. I'm seeking a desk top model. So fess up. <G> where do I find one or two of them. My email address is warnpc1@aol.com
Larry.

Collapse -
Ummm Larry!
by Evie / November 10, 2004 9:15 PM PST

Welcome to Speakeasy. Toni has shared with us that she has one of these: http://www.crazypc.com/products/storage/storage.htm
Scroll down to the DC-300 or 101. I haven't bought mine yet. For the CD collection we are re-evaluating the benefits of this type of storage vs. some of the large-capacity CD changers available. One we looked at had a capacity for 400 CD's and a port to hook a standard computer keyboard into to enter information to catalog it. We are in fledgling stages with that comparison, but on brief consideration it seems we give up some of the search features available with the DC units/computers, but can group CD's for easier accessibility. Still planning to get at least one of the carousels for DVD/ComputerCD storage.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: Ummm Larry!
by netxflix / November 23, 2004 6:54 AM PST
In reply to: Ummm Larry!

Hello All,

I actually have 56 Dacals and they work ok.. I saw in your post that you found some that hold 400 ?? Is it possible you can share your findings with me.

Regards
Aaron

Collapse -
by Dan McC / November 23, 2004 10:16 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Ummm Larry!
Collapse -
by netxflix / November 24, 2004 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Ummm Larry!

Thanks for the post, although this isnt a storage retreival system, it acutally is a player. We are looking for large capacity storage. (we have a large solection of DVDs and CDs that we need to get physical access to on a daily basis) so loading and unloading.

Collapse -
Re: Looking for automated CD storage ... Ideas?
by Evie / October 16, 2004 5:07 AM PDT

Thanks!

I don't suppose you would know about connecting them through USB? I'm wondering if I could connect one of the units with the controller with one or more of the other ones without it. It would be nice to be able to search my CD's without being connected to a computer. A printout would be nice, but I'ld still have to find the title in a rather lengthy list so I would have to sort my CD's/DVD's somewhat -- something I am trying to avoid. I guess I can call them and ask on Monday but I'm just being impatient Grin

Evie Happy

Collapse -
by TONI H / October 16, 2004 5:24 AM PDT

They each have their own USB connection to the PC, as well as their own electric plug for an outlet or surge protector. They don't connect to each other physically in any way, but if you have one USB connector on your PC and it has four or five connectors on the other end, you could use only one USB port on the computer and plug all the units (stacked on top of each other) to the end of the USB connector.

The booklet that they give you has a place to write in each of the 150 slots so you just have to turn the manual button on the front of the computer to the number slot you want use it as a stand alone on a counter or entertainment center, then press the button and the carousel turns to that slot and pushes the cd out of the slot at you. It's real easy to see the cd you want to pull out. When you put it back into that slot, press the button again, and it pulls the cd back into the carousel.

You wouldn't have to sort anything.....just write down the name of the movie in the booklet into slot 1, turn the dial to that slot, the number 1 slot turns to be 'up front', and you put the cd into that slot and press the button so the carousel pulls it in. Then write down the number 2 slot title in the booklet, turn the dial to 2, press and do the same thing for each of the slots. (make sure your cd's are labeled with the title of the movie LOL)

If you use it on the pc, you have a database you can fill out with the slot and title number, click that slot and it automatically goes to it for you. But if you lose the database, and you haven't also put that info into the booklet, you can't tell what movie is in which slot.

Since I have two exclusively for my music cd's, I use the slot/REMARK area of the database to fill in the titles of the songs on each cd........that's why I printed mine out when the carousel was filled up. For my movies, I didn't bother with the database and only filled out the booklet instead.

TONI

Collapse -
by Evie / October 16, 2004 5:29 AM PDT

Thanks again. Maybe it was another link, but I got the impression that you can connect them to one another. I'm very encouraged that someone I trust has one of these at all (and likes it!) and so I'm much less nervous trying this. Ah well ... fire up the old checkbook Silly I will eventually need at least two for the "important" CD's and DVD's. So maybe I'll get one of each and give the one with the controller to the hubby Grin

Evie Happy

Collapse -
by TONI H / October 16, 2004 7:07 AM PDT

In order to hook them up to each other, I would think that you would have to have a special USB connector that has the small connectors at both ends......but then if you use the USB port on each unit to hook to each other, there is nothing to left to hook it to the pc. I had all three hooked directly to my pc while I was filling them up, but I have lots of USB ports available because in addition to the three on the back of the pc, I have a five USB port card installed in a PCI slot inside. My printer, my scanner, and my keychain harddrive are all USB so I ran out of ports quickly and had to add the separate card in order to hook up my Dazzle video capture device for copying my vcr tapes to burn to cd and the three carousels. LOL

Once I got two of them filled up, I moved one to the kitchen counter next to my cdplayer for music, and one to the livingroom next to the dvd player for movies. Still working on filling up the last one with more music cd's.

TONI

Collapse -
Try here Evie...
by Edward ODaniel / November 11, 2004 2:11 AM PST
http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=134+1360

They have two models and both can be cchained to others through USB.

The more expensive one (link at bottom of above link) has a keypad for using it without PC being on. Searchability relies on being attached to PC to access database but contents can be printed allowing you to manually select by occupied slot.

Another that is stackable located here http://www.techbuy.com.au/products/43182/Storage_Cases_and_Devices/Imation/AD-0012-0001-4/Disc_Stakka_-_100_CD_DVD_Automated_Storage_System.asp but only searchable from PC

Go to eBay and search for DACAL and you might still find a couple of the $120 models at ~ $80-$100

You might find this review of the DACAL 300 interesting as it is informative and shows the software interface:
http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/dacal/dc300.htm

Collapse -
Re: Try here Evie...
by larry123 / November 11, 2004 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: Try here Evie...

Ed. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?