TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Looking for ANY helpful advice. please read

by xJACKTHERIPPERx / November 14, 2010 1:47 PM PST

im bein f***ing tortured!! do i get plasma or LCD? then if i get LCD do i get 120hz or 60hz? ive heard 120 makes gaming kinda crappy cause of the way it refreshes the images, but then if i get 60hz ive heard thats not as good when watching movies, especally blu rays, and im thinking that if i get a tv b4 xmas, then get a gift card for xmas i might get a blu ray player, but then best buy hits me with a 120hz 40" sony bravia WITH a blu ray player for the same price as a 46" sony bravia LCD that i saw at wal mart, but that one at wal mart was only 60hz which would make my blu ray movies look worse if i got a blu ray player. and the 120hz comes with a game mode where it turns it down to 60hz to make ur games look better, then u can just turn it back up to 120hz for watchin tv and action movies and such. BUT in order to get the one at bestbuy i gotta drive for like 2-2.5 hours to get it, then if theres problems with it i gotta drive all the way back there to return it. ORRR i could get a 40" sony LED LCD tv which would be thinner, lighter and last longer, also for $800. (same as the other 2) but its only 60hz, and only 40". and thats just my concerns if i decide to go with LCD.
if i go plasma theres no worrying about 60hz vs. 120hz or LED or anything, and ive heard plasmas have better, deeper blacks, and handle the fast motions of video games better, but i heard the picture also can get dimmer within a year or 2, and they get hotter which is a concern when its hot at the cottage in the summer. also, i no they say plasmas dont burn in but i cant help but worry about it a little, but im not that worried about it. and the plasma im looking at is a 42" panasonic (ive heard there good brands, but im not sure)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for ANY helpful advice. please read
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for ANY helpful advice. please read
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It seems you have done your home work.
by ahtoi / November 14, 2010 3:20 PM PST

All you have to do is make the decision. Good picking.

Collapse -
thats the problem
by xJACKTHERIPPERx / November 14, 2010 3:28 PM PST

thats exactly my problem though. whenever i set out to buy something expensive i research it to death, then i have so many variables to consider that i just end up with a horrible case of paralysis by analysis and i get nothing done. i did read something just now where a guy said something like "ur getting a tv, buy it on a whim cause in 3 years it'll be so outdated it wont matter"
any suggestions as to what you would do though?

Collapse -
Just sharing my thoughts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2010 3:39 PM PST
In reply to: thats the problem

Whatever you do, don't "invest" in this thing. Look at the usual forums with failures and need to repair in single digit years. I limped along on an old set and ever repaired it myself 2 more times before it finally died of other issues. This allowed me to whistle past the days of many K BUCK HDTV and then I reduced the set size to 46 inches so I could get a nice screen but not over spend. Not it's 3 years and all is well and if it dies I didn't overspend.

--> THE 120Hz is now outdated. They had to move to 240Hz to get enough frames up for 3D displays so all we need is 60 for normal viewing and 240 for the 3D crowd.

I fear only twenty something fighter pilots can appreciate over 60Hz.
Bob

Collapse -
i think i might try
by xJACKTHERIPPERx / November 15, 2010 4:37 AM PST

going for that combo deal and see if they'll just not throw in the blu ray player and knock the price of the player off of the total.
but then again im still not sure if i want LCD or plasma

Collapse -
About BR and the old LCD/Plasma debate.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2010 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: i think i might try

BR is painful at times. Read the forums and you discover the studios are EXPERIMENTING (it must be an experiment since there are so many failures) with DRM and titles don't always play. To make matters worse (or fun?) if you update a player to handle a new title, then an old title may fail.

BluRay is something I strongly advise to not invest in. Yes we have BR here but it's the usual PS3 and you can read more about that at:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6035_102-504402.html

As to LCD vs. any other display technology, I think it comes down to "is it good enough for you?" and the price.

For me the lesson is clear. The makers are producing products for the price and not for the decade of ownership. Some don't agree with I write to expect about 5 years of use from most of today's sets.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!