Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Looking for an online piano

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for an online piano
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for an online piano
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How about>>>>

In reply to: Looking for an online piano

Collapse -
Re: How about>>>>

In reply to: How about>>>>

Thanks, Toni.

There was one way near the bottom that might work out! "Virtual" was the word I wasn't coming up with. Kept thinking "online" and getting offers for lessons.

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Wow, guys!

I didn't know there was such a thing!

I'm planning to try (some day)the touch typing lessons which, I understand, puts a keyboard on the desk top.

My Yamaha keyboard doesn't work anymore, so I'm making a note of Toni's link.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Virtual Keyboard for typing or piano type?

In reply to: Wow, guys!

I'm not positive but I think there already IS one built into XP if you have it. I think it's in the Accessibilities program, if I remember correctly, and it's used normally for people who don't use a mouse (or can't physically control one).

Trying to figure out what you would need one for, Ang when new keyboards are only about $15 at Wal-Mart. I bought ten online not long ago for six bucks each when I spotted a good sale. Then I was able to throw out a slew of ones I had here that were the older type that needed ps/2 converters attached to them.

If you are looking for a good Mavis Teaches Typing type of program, I can send you one easily. I have a bunch of them. I am a pretty fast typist (older electric typewriters couldn't keep up with me and I'd have to sit back and wait for it to catch up) and when I got the computer for Derek years ago, he was just taking typing classes in school in preparation for computer classes. I installed the typing teacher program to that old W95A dinosaur and we would compete with each other. I quit when he got faster than me...........heheheheh....but I still have a Brothers electric typewriter than I can beat so my ego isn't totally shattered.

TONI

Collapse -
Interesting that ...

your Yahama has bitten the dust. I can't really help here (so I don't know why on earth I'm posting this).
I bought my Yamaha because it was computer-compatible. Whilst it still works, some of the keys need a sledge-hammer touch. I'm thinking of putting it in the washing machine as repair costs are greater than new-purchase cost.

There used to be a programme for the (very!) old Commodore C64 that put a piano keyboard on the screen, so I'd be a bit surprised if there isn't a current one out there. I guess it's just a case of finding it.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
For typewriting, here is a site ...

that I use periodically, (with no ill effects, ignoring the ads and having the usual computer safeguards of course).

Basically, you type in a paragraph and it tests your speed, adjusted for any errors you make.

The weird thing is that they seem to test in "words per minute" Sad. I used to work with a lady who took shorthand at 150 wpm. I managed 120 at that time, but 150 is off the Richter scale IMO.

Regards
Mo

Collapse -
Silly me - forgot the link - Doh!...

In reply to: For typewriting, here is a site ...

Collapse -
Re: Looking for an online piano

Cindi, there was a little eye-candy program called Virtual Piano that was part of the midi stuff that was bundled with the SoundBlaster Live card I put in a system of mine a couple of years ago. I'll have to pull out the disks for it when I get home, and if it is what you are looking for, we can arrange off-list to get it to you. Also, have you considered any of the midi sequencing software? While they all are based on the notion that you'd normally have some sort of midi device (like a keyboard) for input, some also have manual notation capability. A window on the screen shows a graphic representation of the score in regular staff notation, and you can click your mouse on any spot on the bass or treble clefs to insert a note of whatever duration (or modify a note already there...). It will be converted to the usual midi sequence and the synthesizer on the soundcard in your computer will play it back. I've got a couple of those programs too.

dw

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Looking for an online piano

Hi ****,

Thank you for your generous offer! I hope I'm not giving the wrong impression here, I was just trying to avoid buying a piano keyboard for poking out some notes here and there while learning my alto part for choir. I thought there might be something online for occasional use. There was a link in Toni's search results that gave me something I can use. If all else fails, I can purchase a cheap piano keyboard...it doesn't need to connect to the computer.

Thank you!
--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -

well, Cindi, that's actually the point. The Virtual Piano thingie, IIRC, lets you plunk out tones by clicking on a screen image of a keyboard. The sound comes out through your soundcard. I can't remember if it also had a mapping to the typing keyboard so you could also imagine a particular row of letters as certain notes on the piano, I think it did... It's clunky as a serious musical instrument, but it works for simple tones and tunes. IIRC it is real-time only, i.e., if you didn't like the way it sounded, play it again and get it right this time; if you did like the way it sounded, revel in the memory because unlike everything else on the computer, it doesn't save your work.

The midi notation software would allow you to input more complex work and save it to play again in the future. It also plays out through your soundcard.

Neither require an external piano keyboard, but if you had one that was midi-capable, the midi software would use it as an input device to record your actual playing (as well as play the output through it's own synthesizer rather than the computer speakers if you wanted it to...). (Be aware that midi files are not the same as sound files, but we don't have to get into those technicalities here... yet...)

dw

Collapse -

Sorry, ****!

I guess I read your first post as something far more grandiose and involved. What you describe sounds perfect.

If you can find it, we can surely work something out. Email me at the mod addy, or else I've got the profile mail enabled.

Thank you!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.