Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Looking for an mp3 Player Recommendation

Hello mp3 player enthusiasts. My name is Ryan, and I'd like to get your recommendations for an mp3 player to replace my iPod nano (2nd gen.), which I left in my pants pocket and washed.

I would like my new player to...

* Sound decent. 95% percent of the time, I'm listening to audiobooks and podcasts. I play them through my car's stock stereo using an old-school cassette adapter. When I listen to music, it's through a pair of $20 Sennheiser HD 201 headphones. So basically, I want a player that sounds decent using this setup, but it's not going to be awesome.
* Have enough memory to hold 2-3 audiobooks, about 12 podcasts, and 20 music albums.
* Be tough enough to withstand the occasional drop or bang.
* Have a replaceable battery, if possible. In a year when the built-in battery dies, I'd like to be able to replace it rather than toss the player in a landfill. (I'm a handy, do-it-yourself type).
* Be compatible with anything I plug it into. I use a PC, but I'd like to be able to plug it into my girlfriend's Mac or my buddy's Linux box and be able to work with non-DRM, non-subscription music files on it.
* Use a standard USB connection, if possible. I think proprietary connections with all the proprietary accessories are a pain.
* Cost somewhere around $100 or less.
* Have a good user interface. I don't want to be annoyed navigating deeply nested folders or be distracted by other "cute" features. I want to easily find my books and songs.

My new player DOES NOT need to...

* Manage subscription content. I don't subscribe to music services. I rip music from CDs or buy non-DRM mp3's from Amazon.
* Play video. I don't watch movies on tiny screens.
* Show album art. In fact, I want the option to not transfer album art so I can save memory.
* Have expandable memory, i.e., have an SD card or micro SD card slot. The built-in memory will be good enough for me.

So, what do you think? Does such a player exist?

I appreciate all your comments and recommendations. I apologize if this post covers ground already discussed in other posts. If so, please point me in that direction.

Thanks!
Ryan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for an mp3 Player Recommendation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for an mp3 Player Recommendation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi, I'm Bob and replaced my own iPod battery.

In reply to: Looking for an mp3 Player Recommendation

It was 20 bucks so now I'm on the prowl for anyone that will give me their dead iPod and things they can't change the battery.

Also, I can use FLOOLA.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob.

In reply to: Hi, I'm Bob and replaced my own iPod battery.

If I find some free time, I may have to try a battery change myself.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.