Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Looking for an MP3 player following this criteria:

1. Really good sound and video quality. Supports at least one of the following formats: AVI, WMV, MPEG1, 2, and 4.
2. Flash based.
3. At least 16 gigabytes of flash memory in it. No hard drive. 8 gigabytes okay if unit has expansion slot.
4. Horizontal layout.
5. Button-based. Touchpads and touchscreens are alright, but I'd prefer buttons. Absolutely no iPod-like wheels though.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for an MP3 player following this criteria:
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for an MP3 player following this criteria:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Hmm, the iRivers?

In reply to: Looking for an MP3 player following this criteria:

Collapse -
well you only said one of the formats

so the Creative Zen would work, it supports WMV

Collapse -
No Brainer

Creative ZEN 16gb or 32gb

Collapse -
Actually

In reply to: No Brainer

I'm getting a Zen this Christmas. I'm just curious as to what else I could've asked for.

What's good other than Zen? Anything that supports stuff other than WMV? Forget the part about buttons. just no wheels.

Collapse -
reason

In reply to: Actually

Whats the reason your getting the Zen, price ? Is the 16 GB better than the Touch, I have been trying to decipher all this info,not easy! Is it easy to transfer songs from one format to the other if you have 2 mp3's of different manufacturers, wish I could pick between Samsung T-10 purple, I-River 4 gb black, creative Stone Black or Purple, Archos 404, 604, 605 or? All for different people, there is so many Creative MP3's I get confused!

Collapse -
iPod Touch is very pricey....

In reply to: reason

I should know, I have the 8GB. I had the 16GB, but decided I didn't need all of that capacity. I used the money I saved to buy different cases for it. For many people, the features offered (or lack of), don't justify the huge price. The wifi/Safari browser is okay, but I'd rather use my laptop for internet. I just wanted the bigger screen, and the ability to play my iTunes purchased content (I have 5 other iPods, BTW). I didn't mind paying the higher price. It has become my everyday player.

Many people who own Creative players say that their sound quality is superior to the iPod. The only Creative player I have is the Zen Stone. I also own a SanDisk Sansa Express and 2 SanDisk Sansa Clips. My ears can't tell the difference between any of them, especially with upgraded earbuds (almost anything is better than the pack-ins). Transferring music to most non-iPod players is fairly easy. I can use most of my iTunes library (but not iTunes itself) that is in mp3 format and do a drag and drop through Windows Explorer, use Windows Media Player 11, and Rhapsody. I have a Rhapsody to go subscription that I enjoy very much.

The Creative Zen is an excellent player. I almost got one myself and I had thought about the Archos 405 too. If the Touch hadn't come out, I would have gotten one of these 2 players. The 16GB Zen is under $250 on Amazon and is an excellent value for a flash player. It supports more formats than the iPod, has an fm tuner, supports subscriptions, and is expandable via an SD card slot.

What players you choose really depends on what features you're looking for. And from your other posts, it seems that you are buying Christmas/holiday gifts. It helps to know what they want in a player.

Good luck!

Collapse -
I-pod touch

In reply to: iPod Touch is very pricey....

Bought 16 gb but I will take it back and get 8 if thats all she needs, someonne said it helps with memory so I bought 16, I was only buying 8 before. What type of cases did you get, sounds like a good idea?
What Stone do you have? I was going to buy one or 2 as gifts maybe, isit better than Sansa clip. Transfering is easy then between players, thats good to know. Which format should my kids buy, Rhapsody good, is it $30.00 for life? Though these are gifts, my kids want things that work, most only know Apple, the Creative sounds good, is it compatable (with Mac as thats what my daughter has as laptop) Which do you think Archos(605,604,404 or?) or Creative Zen 16GB? I liked the look of I-River Clix and Samsung T-10? Thanks

Collapse -
iPod Touch

In reply to: I-pod touch

You don't necessarily need to take back the 16GB and get the 8GB. Since I was paying for it, I decided that I didn't need all of that capacity - and I'm willing to swap stuff out every once in a while. Now, if someone were to buy me one, I would love to get the 16GB ;).
As for cases, I'm always looking for a better one. So far, I have the Incase pink neoprene sleeve and the Griffin Elan Convertible. I have tried out 2 armband systems - Marware sportsuit and Griffin Streamline - I didn't like them and decided I don't need an armband. I'll use my Nano or one of my Shuffles for working out instead. I've put out the word to family and friends that an iPod Touch case would make the perfect gift for me, along with an iTunes gift card. If you're giving a Touch as a gift, get a case. It makes it more grippable (I almost dropped it on concrete when showing it to a friend - before cases were available for it) and provide some protection from drops.

I just have the Stone (1GB, no screen nor fm tuner). It sounds good but I don't like the order in which it plays back music (supports folders, but playback is numeric, then alphabetical - so all of the track 01's play in alphabetical order, then the track 02's if you keep several albums in the same folder). I just keep it on shuffle so it doesn't get too annoying. I believe the Stone Plus works the same way. I prefer the Sansa Clip because it has a screen - it's much bigger than on the Stone Plus.

As far as buying downloadable music, I mainly use iTunes, but that's because I have iPods. And because most of it is copy protected, I can't put them on any other player unless I burn to audio cd then rip back to computer, which I don't bother with. iTunes does sell some of their songs without copy protection (iTunes Plus), but they are in AAC format. Some non-iPod players, such as the Creative Zen and the Zune, will play unprotetected AAC files. You can also convert unprotected AAC files into mp3 files within iTunes.

I've never heard of the $30 for life Rhapsody deal. I pay $39.99 every 3 months for the to go version that allows you to put the music on upto 3 computers and 3 supported mp3 players. iPods are NOT supported. This is a music subscription (like renting music), so you can't burn to cds unless you buy the tracks, usually .89 per song. Once you stop paying the subscription, you can't play the downloaded music anymore, unless you actually purchased the songs/albums individually.

If at all possible, buy mp3 format. There is no copy protection on them, so you can play them on any player, including iPods. eMusic and AudioLunchbox have good services, but it's not an all-you-can download service. You get something like 30-40 songs per month or more depending on the service level chosen. And these services mainly deal with independent artists/labels, so you won't find the latest from Britney, Christina, or Justin.

Amazon.com also sells mp3 downloads, but you pay per track or album so it's not a subscription service. And unless things have changed, the purchases must be charged to a credit card - you can't use the Amazon.com gift certificate.

I don't know if any of the other players you mentioned are Mac compatible. My guess is that if they are, they would do so by mounting as an external drive and you would transfer music by drag and drop - so you wouldn't be able to use Rhapsody. But I am guessing here.

If I was getting an Archos, I would probably go for one of the newer ones, so that would be the 605 wifi - I would want a bigger screen for movie viewing. Again, which one you give as a gift really depends on the preferences of the recipient. Do they want a hard drive player or a flash based player? How big of a screen do they want? How big of player do they want (physical size as well as capacity). What file formats do they want to play? Do they have purchased downloads? Related question - did they buy music from iTunes and are they willing to go through the process of burning then ripping to get that music onto a non-iPod player, play them only on the iPod, or start all over again? How tech-savvy are they? How about asking them what they want? I know, it ruins the element of surprise...

You could continue to buy iPods for them. If they decide to make the switch to non-iPod they can buy the players themselves and figure out what they want to do.

Collapse -
touch

In reply to: iPod Touch

Makes sense, but wish had some devices that weren't all I-Pod, my daughter has 2 I-pods and a shuffle and a mac book, just trying to see what else is out there, easiest way would be the touch, she never wanted one because of what she has and time elment going to college and such, she's getting Blackberry Pearl not sure now what to get?
Didn't see this post before went to bottom, sansa clip better than stone but Stone smaller, right
Thanks again

Collapse -
kind of makes sense

In reply to: iPod Touch

Makes sense, but wish had some devices that weren't all I-Pod, my daughter has 2 I-pods and a shuffle and a mac book, just trying to see what else is out there, easiest way would be the touch, she never wanted one because of what she has and time elment going to college and such, she's getting Blackberry Pearl not sure now what to get?

Didn't see this post before went to bottom, sansa clip better than stone but Stone smaller, right
Thanks again

Collapse -
Sansa Clip and Zen Stone...

In reply to: kind of makes sense

Are about the same size. And you can remove the clip on the Clip. Neither appears to be Mac-compatible.

Collapse -
iPod touch is a bargain.

In reply to: iPod Touch is very pricey....

Compare it to say a PalmOne TX. Same price but which would you want?

Bob

Collapse -
I-Pod right choice

In reply to: iPod touch is a bargain.

Bob, should I change the Touch to 8 GB or keep the 16Gb, she doesn't have a large library, I just wasn't sure,
Thanks

Collapse -
For me, I'd keep it. But if they won't charge for the excha

In reply to: I-Pod right choice

If the exchange is without charge? Your choice.

Bob

Collapse -
if you already bought it

In reply to: I-Pod right choice

Keep it. She'll probably enjoy the possibilities of more space. If she into video, she'll need it. BTW, I got mine at Costco. 90 day unlimited return on iPods, even if I opened the box and used it a bunch.

Collapse -
touch and others

In reply to: if you already bought it

So did I, so better to keep it!Anyone have any input on Creative Stone or other Mp3's from above post, thank you

Collapse -
(NT) Yay... thread hijacking

Collapse -
sorry, just need same help

In reply to: Yay... thread hijacking

just trying to find out answers to mostly the same questions, sorry

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.