TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Looking for an audio system

by bkerrins / March 5, 2007 8:45 AM PST

I'm clearly not an audiophile, that being said I don't need "the best". However, I want to know if there is a system that does the things I want. [MP3's below should also be read as WMV, ACC, etc file types]
I'm looking for a receiver with these features:
1. Tuner AM/FM/ (Satellite and HD are nice, but not required)
2. Built in CD player
3. Built in card reader (I want to be able to take a SD card with MP3's and play that directly.)
4. Built in USB jack. (I want to be able to attach a thumb drive with MP3's and play)
5. Ethernet jack. (I want to be able to connect it to my network and and play MP3's from my hard drive.)
6. Ipod connection.

The significant issue is that I want one box to do this, I don't want to have to connect a CD player to my receiver. I don't want to connect a Media Center to my receiver.

Perhaps there is a Media Center that has an AM/FM tuner built in? Even that probably wouldn't have an Ipod connection though. About the only thing I have seen that allows me to play CD/AM/FM and Ipod are boom boxes...and that's just not what I want to hook into a speaker system and have in my family room. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for an audio system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for an audio system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
best of luck...
by tech fan / March 5, 2007 12:22 PM PST

as of now the only way to get all these things together is probably a Denon 4306 and that will not have a built in cd player.

My advice:

1. Get a Denon receiver along with their optional Ipod port. The 1707 will give performance well above its price point. This will allow you to stream music and video through your theater system using the denon remote to control the ipod. (this does #1,6)
2.To easily stream audio and video from a puter try a D-Link Media Lounge. It hooks easily into a wireless network and allows you to stream anythong from your pc through your thater system. Also the media lounge has an easy access usb inout in the front of the unit (this is #3,4,5) As of now I know of no receivers that have built in memory card readers.
3.Either get a dedicated CD player, or simplky use your dvd player to play cd's.maybe something lie the Denon 1730 upconvert DVD player to go with your HD TV.

This is probably the best plan available to hit all 6 requests in a easy to use economical fashion.

Denon 1707 + Ipod dock= 560; Media Lounge= 200; Denon DVD1730= 170.
Total= 930.

Collapse -
KEEP DREAMING, GO BACK TO BED, AND DREAM SOME MORE..........
by Riverledge / March 6, 2007 9:55 AM PST

SORRY, not realistic, unless BANG & OLUFSEN is making something new that no one can afford. Just like the Danish.

river.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.