Laptops forum

Question

Looking for an affordable Gaming Laptop (within $500)

by technical difficulties / February 4, 2014 10:29 AM PST

My old laptop (Sony Vaio E Series Notebook VPC17EBFX) currently is in repair, and the price for hardware replacement comes out just below $500, so I was thinking I could just try to find a laptop around that price, and if I can't, I'll just pay for the replacement.

Regarding how well it needs to be to play games, most of the games on my PC are old anyways, but I would like it to be good enough to be able to play shadow warrior which requires these system specs (since I've been having trouble playing it on my laptop, even at the lowest settings):

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 8200 / AMD Phenom X4 9950

Memory: 4 GB RAM

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4890 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or better

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Hard Drive: 8 GB available space

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for an affordable Gaming Laptop (within $500)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for an affordable Gaming Laptop (within $500)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Pass.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2014 2:17 PM PST

If you find a laptop with a C2Q I'd not consider that.

However in that price range for gaming we shop for the usual. That is the AMD A10 based laptops. The office has one and it games.
Bob

Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 1:49 PM PST

I thought I mentioned the A10. The i3 is certainly not going to work out.

How about that AMD A10 at Woot today?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
AMD A10-Series Laptops
by Warsam71 / February 6, 2014 9:03 AM PST

Hi technical difficulties (everyone),

Sorry am I little late...

Here is the link to our official site. You'll find lots of laptops close to the price range you've mentioned above:
http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Search?SearchFacets=category%3ANotebook%3Bnotebook_cpuprocessor%3AAMD%20Quad-Core%20A10-Series%20APU&SortBy=priceLowToHigh

All of these feature A10-Series APUs. I can tell you they will meet, and probably exceed your system requirements as the GPUs inside the APUs are Radeon Graphics - the tech used for both gaming and media. I hope the above helps you Happy

Collapse -
Those laptops seem good and all...........
by technical difficulties / February 6, 2014 12:47 PM PST
In reply to: AMD A10-Series Laptops

But most of them are above my price. That, plus the ones that are within my range either don't have the best reviews or are only available online (which doesn't work for me since i want to get this computer within this week). Doesn't seem like there are many AMD A10 based laptops that are below $500. What's the second best AMD processor? I imagine I'll probably find more laptops within my price range.

Collapse -
At 485 how about?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2014 1:34 PM PST
Collapse -
Other options
by Warsam71 / February 7, 2014 1:56 AM PST
In reply to: At 485 how about?
Collapse -
At the office, home.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2014 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: Other options

At the office we have both a8 and a10 laptops. The A4 was not cutting it so it went to a needy student. The A6 was a little laggy during demos so it went to some office worker. That left us with the A8 and A10. The A10 is still king on the 3D demo here for Trinity APUs.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?