HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Looking for advice on a 2 channel receiver

by BT5150 / April 14, 2008 4:23 PM PDT

I am setting up a stereo system for my bar, which will be opening in a few months. It isn't a nightclub type place, so I don't need to blast at extreme volumes or have earth shaking bass. It will be more of a restaurant during the day, so the music will just be a background level during the day, then going up somewhat at night, but never real loud. I just need to have a decent volume level. What I'd like to do is to have 2 zones, the place is about 1,000 square feet. I was thinking of getting 2 powered subs, one for each zone and maybe 4 bookshelf type speakers to mount in each zone. I like JBL, I use JBL for my home speakers and have found some models that would work well for the subs and the speakers. I would use a 2 zone speaker selector to control the volume in each zone and match the impedance to the amp. What I am looking for is a recommendation on a receiver, I only need 2 channels, not a 5.1 or 7.1 theater receiver, which most of them seem to be. I need enough power to drive the bookshelf speakers, as the subs will have their own amps. I really don't need the tuner, I doubt I'll play much radio, it will be mostly Cd's, cable tv input or a computer playing mp3's. Any recommendations?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for advice on a 2 channel receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for advice on a 2 channel receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
system
by jasondtx / April 15, 2008 4:05 AM PDT

Most 2 channel receivers that have 2 zone capability, the second zone is preamp output (not amplified) so you would have to have another power amp for the 2nd zone. Another problem you run into is I don't know of any 2 channel receivers with 2 subwoofer pre-outs, which means you would have to run speaker level out into the sub, then to the speakers. There are ways of doing what you want to do with extra amps, impedance matching volume controls, etc. but I would really look into a multizone system like Niles, Crestron has a nice Adagio system, or Rotel. That way it simplifies things, keeps all the amps in one chassis, built in tuners, and you have the ability to add on later if you need other zones like outdoor speakers, another room, etc.

Collapse -
2 CHANNEL AMPS A DEAD ITEM
by stewart norrie / April 15, 2008 5:26 AM PDT

Just buy a 5.1 a/v amp set it to 2.1 stereo You will have all the features your looking for. a sweet 5.1 amp will cost you about $200 about the same price as a 2 channel amp If you can even find one stewee

Collapse -
take a look at Behringer A500, less than $200
by jostenmeat / April 15, 2008 7:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Sorry Stewee, but the Behringer is a good find. They are
by NM_Bill / April 16, 2008 12:47 AM PDT

widely available from pro music stores that serve folks like electic guitarists & DJs. My social club uses the Behringer for all our general audio needs. The club may not have high end hi fidelity sound but it is very pleasing. Not at all like old time PA systems.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.