Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Looking for advice in choosing a 27 inch Dell monitor.

by atikovi / February 21, 2015 2:30 AM PST

Hope this is the correct forum but right now I use a 23 inch Dell S2340M and I love everything about it, just want a larger screen. I see these Dell 27 inch models with the same 1920x1080 resolution as my 23 inch: E2715H, P2714H, S2715H, S2740L, UZ2715H. First off, will the larger screen size along with the same resolution as my 23 inch, mean the display wont appear as sharp? And what are the differences in the those 5 models? Do the model numbers have a meaning? I assume 27 means 27 inch. Does 14 or 15 refer to the year it was introduced? What about the E,P,S,U prefix or H,L suffix?

What are the differences in the higher resolution 2560x1440 models: P2715Q, U2713H, U2713HM, U2715H. Does the higher resolution mean they will be as sharp or better than my 23 inch model?

And what about P2715Q with 3840x2160 resolution? Or a 30 inch model, 3007WFP? Thanks for any advice.

atikovi has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Looking for advice in choosing a 27 inch Dell monitor.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Looking for advice in choosing a 27 inch Dell monitor.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by atikovi

Collapse -
Iffy. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 3:25 AM PST

No one can guess your visual acuity but it's sure that increasing the size without adding pixels will eventually let you see some pixels.

But if Dell is not answering product questions, why would you consider their products?
Bob

Collapse -
I'm not asking Dell
by atikovi / February 21, 2015 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: Iffy. Here's why.

I'm asking users in a forum for suggestions.

Collapse -
Re: suiggestions
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: I'm not asking Dell

You're asking about:
1. if the 23" and 27" display with the same resolution will be equally sharp. Bob answered "no".
2. the difference in those 5 models
3. if the model numbers have a meaning
4. if the 14 or 15 means a year
5. what the suffix means
6. what the differences in 4 models are
7. if the higher resolution means those monitors will be sharper
8. something (but unclear what) about the 27" model
9. something (but unclear what) about a 30" model
Nowhere do I see you're asking for suggestions.

Question 2 to 6 typically for Dell.
The answer to question 7 might be yes, in the sense that everything with a given number of pixels will be smaller if the pixel density of the screen (number of pixiels per square inch, easy to calculate) is bigger.
Question 8 and 9 can't be answered.

My suggestion is to look at a few monitors in the shop, comparing them with your own images (movie, game, Word document, wensite, youtube, whatever you're using your PC for - just ask the sales person to connect the monitor to your laptop with the images and games) in your usual viewing distance. If that can't be done on dell.com that might not be the best place to buy a monitor.

Kees

Collapse -
OK I'll try a different question.
by atikovi / February 21, 2015 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: Re: suiggestions

How can I tell if my computer will support a higher resolution monitor? I have a Dell Optiplex 7010. In display drivers it shows Intel® HD Graphics 4000. Is there something that will show max resolution capability?

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 7:41 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) OK thanks
by atikovi / February 21, 2015 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: Try this.
Collapse -
Re: resolution
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 21, 2015 7:01 PM PST
In reply to: OK thanks
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?